DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Footage Grainy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/103440-xl2-footage-grainy.html)

Vishad Dewan September 12th, 2007 06:42 PM

XL2 Footage Grainy?

I've had my XL2 for almost a year and a half now and I'd like to know if anyone has ever had a problem importing footage to whatever editing application you might use?

For instance, for a while now I've noticed that the footage I put into Final Cut Pro will look really grainy and interlaced (if I shoot interlaced), but it will look just fine on the camera.

Now, someone suggested to me that this is because the XL2 has 1/3 chips so the video is going to be grainy. But that doesn't jive with me. the XL2's 3 1/3 chips are fantastic, and I've never before experienced this problem.

Should I clean the camera, and if so, what and how?

Or do you all think it's just my software? I've been posting about this problem on the Non-Linear Mac Editing forum, but I wanted to check and see if it's not really a camera problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brian Harbauer September 12th, 2007 10:15 PM

Howdy,
So long as you didn't have the gain turned on. Gain = Grain. Also, when I view grabs on a calibrated LCD, they look really grainy and the compression looks horrible. I'll take that same still home to view on my calibrated crt and they look fantastic, smooth no noticeable grain, and the compression is barely noticeable. But yes, if the gain is on, the footage gets very grainy very fast.

Vishad Dewan September 12th, 2007 10:22 PM

Eh? There's a "Grain" feature built into the camera? Wow...I didn't even know that. How do I check if this feature is turned on?

Dale Stoltzfus September 13th, 2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan (Post 743479)
Eh? There's a "Grain" feature built into the camera? Wow...I didn't even know that. How do I check if this feature is turned on?

I think you might have misread what Brian said. He said (paraphrase) "Make sure you have GAIN turned off because GAIN brings GRAIN." :D

Vishad Dewan September 13th, 2007 08:59 AM

Doh! I suppose actually READING the post would have been helpful, eh?

Richard Alvarez September 13th, 2007 09:05 AM

Actually, it's possible you DO have a 'grain' feature. The early XL2's had a 'film grain' effect button, near the shutter speed button. If you turn this on, it will add 'grain' to the image. A useless and stupid effect that was discontinued after an initial run of the cameras.

So check to see if your model has a 'grain' button on it. My camera does. But more likely, you have AUTO GAIN turned on without knowing it. This will introduce gain-grain whithout you noticing it.

Brian Harbauer September 13th, 2007 09:56 AM

Thanks Richard, I forgot to mention that. :oP

Dale Stoltzfus September 13th, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan (Post 743678)
Doh! I suppose actually READING the post would have been helpful, eh?

:D It is a slight help...occasionally...