Lights, mics and more! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lights, mics and more!

Well I got several questions...

I want an on camera light that'll light up my subjects fairly well in a dim lit area... I am going to use it for proms, dances and concerts. What could you recommend for this? Does it run off of the battery on the camera or a separate battery pack?

Also I want to know some very nice direction clip on microphones and how much they'd run for a decent one that won't sound like other people talking around them. Also I want to know what would be a great microphone for podiums and what does it run on? I'm assuming it records to some sort of board, sorry for so many questions and not searching everywhere on the forums, but these are basically all my questions for now and I need these questions answered directly, I'd appreciate it alot.

Thanks guy/gals.

-Scott
Scott Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

Visit the "Now hear this" forum for extensive discussions on sound recording.

And visit the Shure.com web site, http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/TechLi...cles/index.htm
for articles with tips on sound recording, both theory and practice, in simple term s most folks can understand. It include tips on selection and placement of microphones for different recording situations.

You probably do not want a bright light on the camcorder, it can blind folks at events like proms,and receptions. Typically a 5 to 10 watt light is enough. Sony and Sima (and others) offer models that can sit on the shoe mount and run off separate camcorder batteries.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Scott-

I sometimes use the Canon VL-10Li light. It requires a seperate power supply (battery). It does a good job! Check out this video. I did some street interviews at night just using the VL-10Li. Most of the interviews are at the end of the clip. It was very dark out too. There are a few in the begining and at the middle too. The Interviews with "Haunted House Guy" utilized different lighting.

http://www.blip.tv/file/130402/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders