DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Portable HD Recorder with xl2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/104058-portable-hd-recorder-xl2.html)

Ron Stoecklein September 21st, 2007 08:42 AM

Portable HD Recorder with xl2?

Just curious if anyone is using an HD Portable Recorder with the Xl2-more specifically the FS-C. If so what are your thoughts? Is it worth the money? any problems?

My concern is using it in the field--although I have heard that it is pretty rugged--also the actual amount of shooting it will hold--60G unit?

thanks
Ron

Kenneth Johnson September 21st, 2007 09:03 AM

I use the firestore fs4--40g with my xl2. it is not high def but have not had a problem with it in the field and on a boat. I attached the firestore to the Anton Bauer battery with strong Velcro. great for studio, field and using on a boat.

ken

Ron Stoecklein September 23rd, 2007 09:01 AM

FS-C HD Portable Recorder

Okay--no response on the item so I figured I'd buy it and see if it's worth the money--first off could have purchased a used Gl2 for the price--approx. $1,500.00.

it will work with SD as well as with HD

The plus side--I made a mount for it so it fits on the tripod legs---basically plug it into the firewire port on the XL2--turn on the unit--synch it with the cam(hit the synch button on the Fs-C)--and now when I push the record button on the Xl-2 it records to the hard drive as well as to tape.

After shooting--connect the hard drive to my mac(works with a PC as well) via firewire cable--and the FS-C shows up as another hard drive.

The unit does allow you to place recordings into "reels" which are like file folders.

Bottom line--you have instant capture with a tape backup for your master.

The 60G unit tells me that I have 270 minutes available--4.5 hours.

Unit comes with a battery which is rechargeable.

Size--not much bigger than a wireless reciever.

I am shooting a surf film so intend to use it in the field--I was told that it is a rugged unit capable of withstanding minor torture.

I was unaware that the unit existed so thought I'd share what I found out with others---I have nothing to do with the Company.

Marco Leavitt September 24th, 2007 02:19 PM

Is there any way to compture uncompressed from the XL2?

Ron Stoecklein September 25th, 2007 08:42 AM

Uncompressed capture with FC hard drive

I set the hard drive unit to Raw DV for capture--I beleive that is uncompressed--makes sense--60g hard drive --4.5 hours of capture seems about right for 1:1 capture.

Marco Leavitt September 25th, 2007 08:57 AM

Interesting. I wonder if there is a net benefit to that. I was on a shoot over the weekend that used the firestore. Man, that's the way to go. Death to tape!

Joseph Andolina September 26th, 2007 06:18 PM

I've been using a 40Gig FS with my XL2 also with great results. I do go to tape at the same time just in case. One or two times, I had some bad video file or two recorded onto the FS. Even though I was able to let the unit "repair" the bad ones where they then were playable, I figured on not wanting to take any chances. Have never really successfully been able to get the XL2 & the unit to sync up where the FS stops and goes with the record option on the camera, I just continue to manually engage the FS right after pushing record on the camera. Not exactly convenient, but a small price to pay for the great results I've gotten with it.

Joe

Eric Shepherd September 26th, 2007 06:37 PM

Everything coming out of the Firewire port is 5:1 compressed (DV), there's no way around it.

DV uses 13 gigs/hr (compressed), so it makes sense that way (4.5 hours from 60 gigs). Uncompressed would only give you a few minutes for 13 gigs (I don't know the exact number, I don't work uncompressed, generally).

The XL2 has a bracket to mount gear to the back end of it. I would mount the hard drive on there, unless it's taken up by a large battery or something. Then you're not flexing the firewire cable every time the camera moves and you can operate handheld easily and immediately.

I'll buy a hard disc recorder eventually, when I get some extra money. :)

Eric

Ron Stoecklein September 27th, 2007 09:04 AM

Recorder

thanks for clearing up the compression fact via firewire.

As for recording with the FS-C--I had no problem once I turned it on and set it up hitting the synch button---from then on everything is controlled from the cam----for me shooting surfing--it's the only way it would work--quick rec\pause mostly 3-10 seconds--

Eric Shepherd September 27th, 2007 11:23 PM

Cool, glad it's working out for you. I've used the free Canon app (I forget the name) to record direct to my laptop on an interview shoot, with tape running for backup. It's nice to have the computer for a larger image, and for instant review of clips, without waiting for rewinding, etc.