Directly into the sun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Directly into the sun

Guys,

I'm a new XL2 owner, my first "real" video camera. I need to film people but I will be facing the sun. Anyone offer any suggestions on how to best handle this? Will I need to use a larger aperature setting?

Cheers - Alan
Alan Doheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Major Player

It all depends on what look you're going for. A larger aperture (lower number) will let in more light and make the shadow side of your talent more visible, but you will most likely blow out your background. If you go with a smaller aperture (higher number) you'll be able to control your background exposure quote well, but you run the risk of turning your talent into silhouettes. That can be a very nice effect though, and is used quite often.

My best advice would be to get out there with your camera and something/someone to stand in for your talent and shoot some test with different setting and angles and see what you get and what you like.

HTH...
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not sure if this will work 100% but I think polarized lenses should help the glare.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

First of all, do not point directly to sun in the middle of the day without turning on ND filter on the lens. Long and extensive exposure could damage your camera. It's safe at sunrise or sunset, but may be risky at high noon. Btw, same applies to viewfinder. Make sure sun does not hit the lens inside it directly.

To control exposure properly in the situation you're writing about you will need to switch to manual mode (M) or lock correct exposure with Exp. Lock button. A, Tv, Av or Green mode may not handle the situation the way you intended.

Do some excercise, even against the window of your apartment. Most of the problems you might face will be obvious when you try that.

I'm not sure how exactly you plan to shoot those scenes, but you may also consider a reflector(s) (or bounce board) e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Reflector.html to illuminate the people better with reflected light. For that however you will need someone to assist you.

Hope this helps.
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Major Player

[QUOTE=Bogdan Tyburczy;750662]First of all, do not point directly to sun in the middle of the day without turning on ND filter on the lens. Long and extensive exposure could damage your camera. It's safe at sunrise or sunset, but may be risky at high noon. Btw, same applies to viewfinder. Make sure sun does not hit the lens inside it directly.

Yes indeed. Also never let the sun shine down into the eyepiece. You run a chance of cooking it.

I would do as others have suggested. ND filter, set iris, then exposure lock, then switch to a semi automatic mode and tweak with the AE shift. I find the AE shift dial a saviour in many cases. Use a bounce board to reflect light into their face or use a bright artificial light with a daylight blue gel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders