Tape heads need breaking in? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape heads need breaking in?

So something popped in our old Sony DSR-250, so we went a different route and got 2 XL2's for my organization.

We got them in, shot maybe 10 minutes of footage on it right out of the box to test it out with Final Cut, and took it straight from there to cover a football game (the USF vs. UConn game to be exact, in the driving rain no less). I'm about halfway through the first tapes, and there are some definite audio dropouts here and there on my Sony DSR-1500A deck, is this to be expected?

And if it is so, should I just record the lenscap on a tape or two through the other camera?
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Might be too late now, but with any new DV camcorder you'll want to run a head-cleaning cassette before loading that first tape. Meanwhile trying playing the tapes back from the Canon camcorders to see if you still get the dropouts.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just finished capturing the second half of the tape, no dropouts there. I'll make sure to run a cleaning tape on the other camera though.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. Green View Post
I just finished capturing the second half of the tape, no dropouts there. I'll make sure to run a cleaning tape on the other camera though.
Note that Canon recommend using the “dry” type of cleaning tape. In fact they state that using the “wet” type cleaning cassettes may damage the cam.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders