DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   A Movie Look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/109277-movie-look.html)

Adam Drescher December 1st, 2007 10:11 AM

A Movie Look

I am getting ready to shoot the Nutcracker for are ballet company And I want it to have a movie look to the video. The shoot is in a performing art center with lots of changing "LIGHTS". I was thinking TV 24p tuscan no white balance. Anybody have a better suggestion it would be great

Thanks

David W. Jones December 1st, 2007 04:25 PM

Is it a multi-camera shoot? Or just a single camera trying to follow all of the movement?

Jeff Anselmo December 1st, 2007 10:55 PM

You may want to watch out for motion blur while shooting in 24p; maybe increasing shutter speed when subjects are moving, or when the cam is panning or tilting.

Also, shooting in 30p will decrease some motion blur compared to 24p (if that's an option to you).

Would you be able to shoot some dress rehearsals to experiment with the look/looks that you want?

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com

Adam Drescher December 2nd, 2007 07:46 AM

Movie Look

Thanks guys that will help I have shot alot of dance videos before just trying to achieve that movie look rather than a video look. This is a Three camera shoot. I have even thought of using the sports custom pre-set it has work well before. I will try out some differant settings during rehersal. Just thought someone out there would have a preset for this type of shoot.

Thanks

Michael Nistler December 3rd, 2007 02:43 AM

Hi Adam,

I recommend you talk to the stage lighting guy. While red lights are great for the audience, your video footage won't look right. Some videographers adjust the presets but that approach has tradeoffs (versus color correction in post). Going through rehersals will help, knowing when to flip your camera into spotlight mode, etc. Be sure to setup your zebras, ensuring your IRE doesn't get blown out. And a monitor is useful to validate the quality of your video - you don't want to overcrank the gain only to later find your video is noisy.

Good luck, Michael

Adam Drescher December 3rd, 2007 09:10 PM

Movie Look

Thanks Micheal thats good advice I did think about gain and the zebras I will
check that with my monitors.

Thanks again

Jonathan Kirsch December 4th, 2007 09:57 AM

I just shot a live concert recently with an XL2. Shot 30p (like Jeff said, it doesn't have as much motion blur but keeps the "film" look), 1/60 shutter speed, +3 gain. Had the lighting guy throw on full white before the show so I could white balance to that. Also crushed the blacks, lowered the saturation...specifically the Reds (because DV doesn't like a lot of red). Worked out really well. Only complaint is that the XL2 doesn't do well in low light (I already knew that) so I had a hard time getting audience shots (I could barely get the faces of those in the front row with the iris fully open).

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

Adam Drescher December 5th, 2007 10:13 PM

Movie Look

Thanks Jonathan that gives me one more option to use that was very helpful.

Thank you everybody for the help,