Generating a blur at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 10th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Generating a blur

I have a unique opportunity to film a series of LED’s that form images while moving.
Any suggestions on how I could capture this? It would be similar to a blur trail as a vehicle passes.

Thanks to any and all,
Bill
Bill Sluyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum.

Thing is, it might be more of a post-production effect (in editing) rather than something done to the camera. The thing about the tail lights on a car is you get that effect on a still camera when you leave the iris open for a certain amount of time, basically recording action to one individual frame. Can't really do that with video. Someone might prove me wrong here, though. :)

What exactly are you shooting? Something big? Small? That might give us a better idea.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #3

Bill, slow down the shutter speed to 1/8 second and that should give you some smear, not as much as in some photographs (some of those shutter speeds are measured in seconds).

As always "experiment."
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Jay, I'll start off around the 1/8 speed and go from there.

The technology that I’m filming is completely new and creates a fun challenge to capture it with the XL2. I’ll post a couple of pictures of the finished film strip and how the motion trails come out.

Bill
Bill Sluyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Jay's got a good idea. I haven't tried it, but I'm wondering what it does to picture quality, as when I take the shutter slower than the FPS (ex: 1/24 at 60i), then the movement gets extremely "stuttery", blown out, and hard to follow. Then again, you'll probably have the camera on a tripod performing a static shot, right? So it might work. I'd be interested to hear what happens. You learn something new every day.
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders