Canon FD Lenses on Canon XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon FD Lenses on Canon XL2

Hey guys
Can Canon FD lenses be mounted on Canon XL2?
If so, do they need adapters like redrock and letus or do they need other adapters.

Some of the adapters I would like to mount:
35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8 and a 500mm f8

Im trying to achieve pictures like this one, shot by Jason from Jason Magbanua Videography http://www.myweddingvid.com/videos/dearly_rommel.wmv
Prashanna Jayaseelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes, you can bayonet any Canon FD lens onto the XL2 via an FD-XL adapter. This will provide approx X7 or X8 magnification of the main lens in use, so a 100mm will be approx 700mm or 800mm lens. The same with Nikon Nikkor to XL adapter (I use a Nikkor).

To maintain the same as the master lens, for example maintain a 50mm lens at 50mm, then you'll need to use the Letus, Redrock, P+S Technique etc.
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Tony,

where does one pick up a GOOD adapter? I bought a nylon one and it works but is not of good enough quality as far as I am concerned. i have numerous fd lenses I could use.
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4

I have an old adapter that goes from Canon FD to Canon EOS. Sometimes one shows up on Ebay. Together with an EOS to XL adapter, it works pretty well. I love my 200mm Canon HD with this combo.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
Tony,

where does one pick up a GOOD adapter? I bought a nylon one and it works but is not of good enough quality as far as I am concerned. i have numerous fd lenses I could use.

The Nikon to Canon XL can be bought here:

http://www.videogear.co.uk/index.php...d&productId=88

But I prefer to buy my own adapters direct from Les Bosher:

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

Les is a skilled engineer and has been maufacturing for film and television movie business for two decades. Although he doesn't advertise the old Canon FD to Canon XL mount, if you ask him I'm sure that he'll make you one...and it will be made of solid metal like my Nikkor one.

Last edited by Tony Davies-Patrick; December 15th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanna Jayaseelan View Post
Hey guys
Can Canon FD lenses be mounted on Canon XL2?
If so, do they need adapters like redrock and letus or do they need other adapters.

Some of the adapters I would like to mount:
35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8 and a 500mm f8

Im trying to achieve pictures like this one, shot by Jason from Jason Magbanua Videography http://www.myweddingvid.com/videos/dearly_rommel.wmv
The first question is already answered above so I will not comment on it. The second, how to achieve the look from the beautiful example you linked to, is partly a question of lenses. As you can see from the example there are three things that makes it as good as it is; DOF (depth of field), color design/light and multiple angels. DOF is achieved with a dof-adapter such as Letus och Redrock. Lightning is a complex craft and I suggest you read "Matters of Light and Depth" and frequently visit "Photon Management" here on DVi. Color correction is done with the camera and in your editing software and all those angles the film is shot in are done by a multi camera set up.

Btw: Thanx Tony for your links.
Peter Wittinghoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your suggestions and help - you guys answered my questions. Do you think this mount would be suitable:http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Adapter-New...QQcmdZViewItem

or is this not good enough for what I am trying to achieve as in the sample that I provided.

Thank you
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #8

looks just like the mount I have
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Bill
Have you tried this mount with FD lenses? if so which FD lenses have you tried and how are the results?

Thanks again
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanna Jayaseelan View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions and help - you guys answered my questions. Do you think this mount would be suitable:http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Adapter-New...QQcmdZViewItem

or is this not good enough for what I am trying to achieve as in the sample that I provided.

Thank you
No, that is not what you need. That particular adapter only allows a manual FD lens bayonet to a modern EOS camera body. It will not help with the XL1/1s/2/H1...for that you need a separate FD-to-XL adapter (as I mentioned earlier).
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #11

Tony is right. I use an XL2 to EOS lens adapter in addition to this adapter you're showing.

Regardless, to answer your question, the Canon 200mm FD lens provides a very nice long distance telephoto for me when used in this combination.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders