Canon VL 3 Not Working, Never Has at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon VL 3 Not Working, Never Has

Apologies ahead of time if there's already a post on this, I did a search, honest! I recently bought a VL 3 light for my XL2 and it doesn't work; "auto" or "on". Before I dig into this any further with Canon just wanted to know if is there a power shoe "on/off" function I may not know about?
Many thanks in advance and best of holidays to you guys!
ST

Last edited by Sprague Theobald; December 16th, 2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Trustee

There is just the on & off switch on the side. You of course need to fit a battery on the back (same battery that fits the XL2) and the light is low powered for a few seconds and then switches to full power beam.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I believe Tony might be referring to the Canon VL-10i, which is independently powered by a BP-9xx series battery. The VL-3 is a much smaller onboard light which is powered through the Advanced Accessory Shoe on the XL2 and it has an off / on / auto switch on the back.

For Sprague, make sure that the light is firmly seated in the shoe to insure that the electrical contacts are making the connection. As far as I know, there isn't any off / on setting for the power going to the shoe. I think it's possible that you've got a VL-3 with a bad light bulb. My suggestion is to return it to your dealer for an exchange.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Trustee

OOPS! Sorry about that mistake Sprague, Chris is right... I thought that you meant the larger VL-10i.
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! Glad I checked with you. Happy holidays.
ST
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders