What did we do wrong?: Camera display burned onto taped segment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What did we do wrong?: Camera display burned onto taped segment

I did a three-camera shoot over the weekend using an XL2, XL1 and GL2, audio mixer and video switcher.

When we looked at the tape, we discovered that two of the cameras' display information had burned onto the tape. I'm not exactly expert with my XL2 but I've never had this happen before while using it as a single camera. I know you can go into the menu and set it up to burn in the date/time, maybe even the timecode, I think.

What happened? Immediately, once it was discovered during the second taping, I went into the menu and turned off my camera display settings. But I've never used the burn-in mode and had not changed any of my settings. Perhaps what caused it was in how we connected the cameras?

Has this happened to anyone before and what can we do to ensure it doesn't happen again? Thanks for your valued advice.

Chuck
Charles Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Major Player

It is on the tape? Or you can view in in playback on a monitor?
I assume you have toggled that function off?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's on the tape from two different cameras! I did not do the set up. I was there primarily as a camera operator. As I mentioned before, I've never had the camera settings display appear on tape. I've never used the menu to burn in a date/time, which I know we have the capability to do.

It had to have been caused by the set-up itself. Unless I can figure out what was fundamentally wrong with the set-up, we're likely to face the same frustration again. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Penn View Post
It's on the tape from two different cameras! I did not do the set up. I was there primarily as a camera operator. As I mentioned before, I've never had the camera settings display appear on tape. I've never used the menu to burn in a date/time, which I know we have the capability to do.

It had to have been caused by the set-up itself. Unless I can figure out what was fundamentally wrong with the set-up, we're likely to face the same frustration again. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Chuck
You had 'character rec' toggled on. That feature is made available for doing legal work or law enforcement stuff.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Menu > System > Char. Rec. > On / Off

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Chris.

Unfortunately, it is, and always has been, set to 'off.' I've never used the character record. So, the character record on/off has never been a factor. It's always been set to off.

Again, IT HAS TO BE IN THE ACTUAL SET-UP, how the cameras are tied together with the switcher.

Is there any way to turn off the camera setting from being seen in the viewfinder because that is what was burned on tape!
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

In that case locate the EVF Display button along the top of the tape transport, below the carrying handle (refer to photo linked below). Press it several times to cycle the data display info in the viewfinder. When the display info is turned off in the EVF, it is turned off through the video outputs as well. See page 35 of the XL2 operator's manual for more info.

See this image for the location of the EVF Display button:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...9&d=1171322712

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris, thanks. I have to tell you. I really appreciate you and other experienced professionals in this forum, particularly those that police and add oversight to this forum.

I always try to search the forum before I pose a question. Yet, I know someone will come through for me, with a little persistence.

More importantly, I don't hesitate to ask what many would consider a "stupid" question, even one that I should know the answer to! Thank you so very much for putting up with me and others and leaving us with our dignity. Chuck
Charles Penn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders