Compatibility with XL1 parts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Compatibility with XL1 parts?

Hello,

I have a questions for those of you own a XL2 and might have once owned either the XL1 or XL1S. I have a chance to get a XL2 body for really really cheap, I have not seen this body or the complete camera for that matter. Here's the question. I have a XL1S, can I use the view finder, mic and lense of the XL1S on the XL2? I hope this is not a stupid question.

Thanks
Ken Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

Lens - yes
Mic - Maybe?
Viewfinder - no
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Josh is almost right -- lens yes, mic yes, viewfinder no.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

Nice try Hurd, but you shan't thwart me this day. I left it open with my "maybe" for the mic. So ha!

On another note, I've always wondered if an electrical genius could rewire the the XL1s EVF so it'd fit the XL2. Though the XL2 EVF is physically larger in terms of the picture when your eye's up against it, the XL1s' is actually much sharper/high res, and there's more detail to the color. The XL2's EVF color often looks like a super compressed JPEG. I always found it much easier to judge focus/exposure on the XL1s than I do on the XL2. Believe it or not.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Guys,

The price I am getting for the body would be worth the price of getting a new view finder, now that I know I won't have to drop the cash for a new lens and mic. I could swap connectors if I knew if the pin outs were the same and if I could locate a connector. I am going to go to a local rental house to check the camera out for the weekend.

Thanks again.

Ken
Ken Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Stevenson View Post
Thanks Guys,

The price I am getting for the body would be worth the price of getting a new view finder

Ken
Hi Ken,

Before making that assumption, better call Canon For a price on that viewfinder. It may be better to buy a used FU-1000 (B&W viewfinder) for about $600.00 to $800.00 than to get a new color. Please call Canon first for a price. Ebay has several of the color for about $500.00 to $600.00 for used.

Mike
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #7
New Boot

Mike,

Yeah, I would check Ebay before I would attempt the modification. I'll sell my old viewfinder, body and MA-100 I have to pay for the new viewfinder. But it would fun to do the modification just to say I did it. Thanks for the email.

Ken
Ken Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders