Tape Change Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape Change Question

I've been using the same Sony DV tapes since I bought my XL2, and for Christmas I was bought a pack of 5 Sony DV tapes, which are a tad different than the ones I've been using. Is it okay to use them since they are still Sony? The ones I have been using are actually the HD/DV ones which are a lot more expensive.

Is it worth getting a cleaning tape to switch to a cheaper brand? I also heard that Sony leaves a bunch of gunk on the heads anyways....

But then I heard that you shouldn't use cleaning tapes unless you need to because they wear down the heads.

Any help would rule. Thanks.

Mitch
Mitch Fillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This question belongs in another section, but there's no harm in answering it here. Here's what I can tell you:

At my school, they exclusively use Sony brand DV tapes in all the equipment because Sony is the only company that consistently uses the same tape lubricant.

You're safe using any Sony tapes interchangeably, but if you switched to something like JVC or Panasonic, there's a chance you might muck up your heads and start getting the dreaded pixel drop.

~N
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks a bunch man!

sorry for posting in the wrong section, this is the only one ive ever looked at haha.

cheers.
Mitch Fillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Fillion View Post
thanks a bunch man!

sorry for posting in the wrong section, this is the only one ive ever looked at haha.

cheers.
No problem brosef. There are a bazillion useful threads on this site. You should get to know them well. I feel like every question I've had about DV has already been answered twice by these dudes.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Fillion View Post
Is it worth getting a cleaning tape to switch to a cheaper brand?
You should have a cleaning tape no matter what. It's the best $15 you can spend on your camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
You should have a cleaning tape no matter what. It's the best $15 you can spend on your camcorder.
Just note that Canon recommend that you NOT use the wet type as these can damage your heads. And I know I have read elsewhere that you shouldn't run the tape for more than 10 seconds during cleaning.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders