Problem with XL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #1
Trustee

Problem with XL-2

Hi, I was videoing in Alabama yesterday (and yes, it was snowing). As I was shooting, everything looked great in the viewfinder, good image, audio, color, counter ticking away, happy, happy, When I rewound the tape, NOTHING. I mean NOTHING. Just blue screen and NO time counter at all, just blank lines. Put it in a different deck, NOTHING. I remember that when my heads needed cleaning it either gave me the message or, showed distorted image in the viewfinder. This gave nothing but blue screen. Ran a tape cleaner through it, worked for one shot then nothing. It goes to Canon on Monday but does anyone have any ideas other than really contaminated heads? Thanks. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Are you saying the tape RECORDED a blue signal? That when you put the tape in any other deck, it PLAYS a blue screen?

That is a curious problem. Definately not a dirty head issue. I can't think of why the camera would send that signal to the tape heads, while sending the image of the ccd to the viewfinder.

Sounds like a 'mother board' issue of some sort. Most of those, are usually a blown fuse, in which case the camera does NOTHING... no power up, no record, and most sadly no tape eject if there is one in there.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Richard, when I put the tape in another deck it was just black. It was blue while looking through the viewfinder. I found it interesting that the counter did not record, while it appaired fine in the viewfinder during record.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
It goes to Canon on Monday...
I'm afraid that's the only thing you can do at this point.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Canon is the solution. Sounds like the tape heads weren't even spinning, if no time track was laid down, no 'snow', no nothing. When you say you get 'black' when you play it in a deck, it's exactly the same as a blank tape, no?

Monday is MLK day... don't think that affects UPS or fedEX, but the post office will be closed.

Last edited by Richard Alvarez; January 20th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #6
Trustee

I think your right, I will call Canon NJ either Monday or Tue and get the service number and ship it off. No sence risking it. Thanks for the replys. Bob
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

CUSA service center contact info here: http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders