How durable is the XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Major Player

How durable is the XL2?

Coming from a father with 14 month old twins. I am wondering how durable is this unit? What I mean by durable is how much physical abuse can it take?

The "boy" is an animal this weekend on two seperate occassions he topled it off my tripod. The first seemingly was harmless. But the secound one? It took a nose dive (tripod and all) onto the Kitchen floor with the lens landing straight on the floor. (Face first)
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
Coming from a father with 14 month old twins. I am wondering how durable is this unit? What I mean by durable is how much physical abuse can it take?

The "boy" is an animal this weekend on two seperate occassions he topled it off my tripod. The first seemingly was harmless. But the secound one? It took a nose dive (tripod and all) onto the Kitchen floor with the lens landing straight on the floor. (Face first)
A Sherman Tank taking a nose dive from 4 feet will suffer damage. I would suggest protecting your equipment at all times. Take control of your situation.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
A Sherman Tank taking a nose dive from 4 feet will suffer damage. I would suggest protecting your equipment at all times. Take control of your situation.
LOL you sound like me. I was more worried about my camera moreso than it landing on my 14 mouth old son.

Actually he was in a non baby proof zone that is not accessible. Unless someone makes a mistake in which they did. This kid is all about everything except kid stuff. He wants my camera so bad and because he has never had the chance to play with it. When he see's a chance he is agresive after it.

Our kitchen is off limits to the kids because of all the junk they can get into. But today for snack time I was trying get some close up footage of his eyes full of natural sunlight. they are very unique and deep blue with some white crystals and very long black lashes. (my daughter will be mad when she gets older. Long after the we were finished a I had a plumbing problem that got kaotic for a little while and sure enough...he got in and topped in over before anyone knew he was in the area....BOOOOOM!!!

This was just at dusk, so to see if it was working I moved it outside and set it up at the sunset. I just let it run and record getting the color changes agains the sihloette's in the foregound. (With a few planes passing through)

I just got done watching what it recorded and so far all is fine. I did get a suprise in my sky footage. I had about 30 geese fly right through my skyline with yellow and blue skies surounding them.....
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Rehi Guy,

IMHO, the heavier the camera, the less durable for issues you envision. When traveling abroad, I've dropped my cheapie Canon ZR700 down marble steps without hurting it - I can't imagine what would have happened to one of my XL-2s... Of course, the video/audio quality isn't in the same league but the point is, a significantly lighter camera will probably fair better in falls.

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Much depends on the physics of the fall. In other words, how and where the stress is applied. Could be your lens mount is now damaged, but you won't notice it untill you mount a different lens. Could be the ccd block is now loose. Could be nothing is wrong. It's not designed to be dropped, for sure. If nothing is wrong, count yourself lucky, and a hard lesson learned.

I've learned through the years, that if I walk away from a camera on a tripod, it will get knocked over. Eventually. This means that I RARELY leave a mounted camera unattended or unsecured. (Sandbags on the spreader for instance.)

I've had my share of gear take a tumble.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Truth is that if an XL2 is going to take a fall, the best place from it to hit is on the front of the lens. The rubber hood will absorb some of the energy. Any other place would probably cause damage.

Mike
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Wrangler

The lens hood may have also absorbed some of the impact. I would definitely check all of the lens operations like engaging the ND filters, focus, zoom, preset function, etc.

One thing that Canon did more or less tout with this camera is the main body cage being made of magnesium alloy. Maybe you just got to find out how good those claims were.

If all is well, count yourself very lucky.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Step 1 - Don't leave precious, delicate equipment within the reach of small children - EVER, not even for a minute. They always find a way.

Step 2 - Get Home Owner's/Renters insurance. It is cheap, and it covers just this sort of thing.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM   #9
Major Player

I agree with Jack!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders