San Francisco Rooftop Landscapes with the XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

San Francisco Rooftop Landscapes with the XL2

Download (.mov)
(no color correction, but using pretty much the same settings as the preset named 'technicolor')
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDLw7dcER8g

I know everyone posts these types of videos with their swank new High Def cameras. Well, I don't have one but I still really like videos like Phillip Bloom's (like this one). His setup is far more sophisticated than mine, and his hand far more experienced and steady. Plus, he's way more wicked at it than me.

This is my first attempt at some footage (it's just footage at this point) that looks cool as that. I'm trying to figure out how to get really clean shots like he has. I know he has an EX1, with a Letus 35Ex and $500+ dollar lenses, but I figure (as should everyone!) -- hey! it's just a camera. Just because mine makes images that look like a 700mb DVD rip while his look like the home theatre section at Best Buy shouldn't get me down!

Also, I know the really long shots were shaky. I had other people with me on the roof, and I was flipping through menus at the same time. In all reality I wasn't going to post any footage, but then I figured, what the hell!

So I have my XL2 and I really want to capture some awesome stuff like Phillip Bloom does. I also live in a pretty awesome place to do that, San Francisco. What do you other awesome XL2 owners do with your camera? What settings? Filters? Techniques?

Sam

Ext: I just watched Zodiac! (!!!) That was a hell of a good movie, and incredible looking too.

Last edited by Sam Sutch; January 23rd, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Sam Sutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Crap, I really had problems posting it last night, but this morning I did a render and -- bam! IT WORKED. So it's posted now, and 18 megs instead of 156. ;)

Tell me what you think!

Sam
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM   #3
New Boot

I liked it

Hey I just posted a comment on your video, and yes I did like it.

And well done on getting the panning right, most times when shooting in 24p or 25p you will get that sticatto look but you nailed it. Well done.

I will be posting my latest short film in a day or two, its about running away from your demons.

Any way man, Good job, care to tell your custom settings? and was any of the color done in post?

Steven
Steven Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Good work Sam!

Great footage of an awesome city (always love visiting San Francisco, especially with relatives in Daly City!).

Don't worry about messing up; just shoot, shoot, shoot; practice, practice, practice.

The XL2 is a great cam, with great manual settings (can be frustrating sometimes, though). I'm sure you'll have fun practicing in San Francisco.

Best,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steven Dunn:
At the top of this XL2 forum there's a post with some blue parn presets. I used the one called 'Technicolor' that was in the 2nd Zip file posted.

[Presets]
Preset Name = SAT TECH
Gamma = 1
Knee = 1
Black = 2
NR = 0
VDetail = 0
Color Matrix = 1
Color Gain = 4
Color Phase = 0
Red = 2
Green = 3
Blue = -2
SetupLevel = 0
Sharpness = 0
Coring = 0
MasterPed = 0
Description = (Barry Green) SuperPolarized Technicolor Dream

There was no work done in post. Though I have tried some, I can never seem to get what I like, with After Effects. Though I have gotten some nice results with Color Finesse, I don't have the program so I get magenta lines through the image. Look forward to seeing your short film! Let me know when you get it done by PM or on Youtube or somesuch. ;-)

Jeff Anselmo:
I appreciate your comments! I would have posted more by now but in the past few days we've gotten record amounts of rain here! It's been raining sideways for days, and it's insane!

Sam

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders