Camera Jib Operation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Jib Operation

Hi,
I've come to the point in my producing/shooting where I'm finding the need for a jib/crane more and more. If you guys have a moment I'd really appreciate some advice on a good med-priced rig, and the best way to learn; a workshop (any good one on the east coast?) and/or training books etc.
Many thanks in advance,
ST

Last edited by Sprague Theobald; January 28th, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Sprague,

If you haven't yet, check out Support Your Local Camera forum pages; it has a ton of info and may have what you're looking for.

Are you looking to purchase a jib/crane system? Or just want to learn how to operate one?

For me, after researching a bit around here, I finally called up Bob over at SkyCrane (sponsor). He was very helpful and knowledgeable, specifically about cranes with the XL2! I wanted to order one right away, but he was backordered then (I needed one for a shoot). I eventually went with Kessler Crane (another sponsor); Eric over at Kessler was as informative and helpful.

The Kessler Crane was fairly easy to set up; but not as simple to use. Like any new piece of equipment, it takes alot of practice (and I'm still practicing!). Kessler has some video tutorials on their website:

http://www.kesslercrane.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=36

No matter what jib/crane system you buy (or build!), you'll need plenty of practice. If you have a friend who has one, a rental house that rents one out, even a film/tv set you can just check one out at, get your hands on one and practice, practice, practice.

Best,

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Ideally what I'd like to do is become familiar with one and then purchase one. Your's was just the feedback I was hoping for!

Thanks again,

Sprague
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders