Taping a Hockey game tonight... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #16
Major Player

WOW...that takes a long time to download. I will see if I can compress them later tonight.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #17
Major Player

arena light color cycling

I shot at a hockey rink today - and at any shutter speed faster than 1/30th, the whole scene color cycled from orange to blue and back - every 2 seconds or so.

I'm thinking the arena lights somehow were "pulsing" on and off at 60 hz - and my camera was drifting from out of cycle to in cycle - enough that I was catching the lights on the up or down part of their phase - and so the color varied?

I was able to get good fottage at 1/30 - although some of the close-ups were motion blurred.

anyone have any other work around so I can use a faster shutter speed?
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Robert...........

You are correct.

Unfortunately, unless you fancy replacing all those lights, you're stuck with 1/30th, I'm afraid.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Tourist

30 vs 60 filming hockey

Hi, sorry to come in on this late, but I do have some examples of 30 vs 60 filming only hockey, and from a vantage point close to where you are shooting.

There are about 20 examples I can show you at a site done for a season at:
FREEZE SQUIRT WHITE

Enter and go to the video section.

The trouble with shooting 60 for me is that my editing slows down dramatically - so I had to shoot quite a bit in 30 - and you can see a difference. Rinks are of course tricky because of the lighting, even close to the action with reflective lighting from the ice surface, rinks are notoriously dim. Increasing your shutter to 150 is probably the very best way to go when shooting 60 - although this will force you to open up to f2.8 or even lower to get a decent exposure - and then you are facing a major CA problem which is evident in some of the hockey videos on the site. I had to bring the shutter down to max of 1/100 just to maintain contrast. The XL2s sweet spot is between 4 and 5.6 - so a high shutter speed is difficult to pull off and I'm afraid I have often had to bring my shutter to 1/60 to find a balance - which led to blurring.

Specific examples of what you are looking for:
First vid up against the Bears - 60 with a shutter of 1/100 / fstop 2.8 - on a perch above the surface
Fifth video against the Eagles, same vantage point - 30 with a shutter of /60 / fstop 4
Second Prudential Center vid was a 100 feet away - 60 with a shuttter of 100 / fstop 4 with + 12db gain
Sweet spot was the Parents vs Kids game, right behind the glass - 60 / 100 / fstop 4 with no gain
The worst example is a game against the Hurricanes in which I shot 30 with a 1/60 shutter and fstop of 4

Blurred action is no doubt 30 on the vids were it is most evident, usually with a shutter of 1/60.
There are plenty of examples on the site and I have the settings for each game if you need to know them. Hope any of these vids can help and good luck.

Rob
Robert Dilts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders