Keep getting "remove cassette" message - help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Keep getting "remove cassette" message - help!

My Canon Xl2 is constantly stopping whatever I'm doing with a tape - whether it's recording or playing back in VCR mode. It started a few weeks ago and is happening more and more frequently.

We've just started to film a feature - filmed the first scene yesterday and now I'm trying to capture it it's threatening to chew everything up.

Can anyone hlp me diagnose the problem? My hairs falling out with stress at the moment....it really is the last thing I need. I had a friend who is a AV repairman look at the heads and he can't determine a problem.

Any suggestions?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jon,

I would try cleaning the heads and if that fails.... I would think that it has
to do with the tape transport system.

Goodluck

Terry
Terry Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi John,

To me it seems to be a tape transport mechanism problem. I have a ZR60 that I use as a deck and it started to do this lately. I know that the ZR60 is a model plagued with this problem. By chance my 3 months old XL2 is working just fine.

I would suggest that you send it back to Canon for repairs. From what I've heard they usually replace the whole mechanism. I hope it still is under warranty. If not they'll charge you. Unfortunately I have no clue how much this would cost.

When my ZR60 acts up like that I leave the tape in, then remove the battery or power cord then put the battery back or replug the cord and it comes back to normal. It never destroyed any of my tapes. From what I've read, it's the little gears in the mechanism that are not turning as they should and the resistance or drag it creates makes the camera software think the tape is jammed which triggers the ''remove tape'' message.

Hope this helped a bit and that you can fix that problem.

Best regards

Luc Fontaine
Luc Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the answers guys...

I'll clean the heads and if that fails I'll dig up the warranty and se if I can get it repaired/replaced.

Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders