DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Buying a XL2, tips for look-outs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/117437-buying-xl2-tips-look-outs.html)

David Odell March 20th, 2008 12:32 PM

Buying a XL2, tips for look-outs?

Seems like many are selling there XL2, but you seldom hear someone buy one these days?
But since I have found a very reasonable deal, I plan to make the deal.
And I wonder is there anything specific I should look carefully at when buying a used XL2?

For example how many hours has cam run. Etc.

I would greatly appreciate any comments to search the cam for "non mention" scratches, errors or what say.
Since the seller don’t mention much, it would be good to hear from experienced users what to look for.

Thanks a lot,
David

Richard Alvarez March 20th, 2008 04:34 PM

You can't check the hours on the camera (at least WE can't, I think Canon service has a way.). Obviously, look the camera over if you can, shoot some tape and play it back.

If it looks good, then it's running okay. Pretty simple. I'd sent it in for an overhaul/check up from Canon. Usually that runs in the neighborhood of 250-275 US$... but comes back nice and clean and ready to go.

I've been using mine for three years. Send it in to get it cleaned/serviced about every 18months. Good to go.

David Odell March 21st, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 845836)
You can't check the hours on the camera (at least WE can't, I think Canon service has a way.). Obviously, look the camera over if you can, shoot some tape and play it back.

If it looks good, then it's running okay. Pretty simple. I'd sent it in for an overhaul/check up from Canon. Usually that runs in the neighborhood of 250-275 US$... but comes back nice and clean and ready to go.

I've been using mine for three years. Send it in to get it cleaned/serviced about every 18months. Good to go.

That's to bad, since the seller don't have many papers on the cam etc.
So a check up from Canon is probably a must then?

I'll report back tomorrow.
David

Richard Alvarez March 21st, 2008 11:48 AM

"Probably a must"? Hard to say. For me, yeah if I were investing a grand or more in a used piece of gear, I'd send it to the manufacturer for a check-up. Maybe not right away, if it seemed to be working good... but it's just standard practice if you're going to put high mileage use on it, to send it in every now and then.

What I pay for with the check up is peace-of-mind. If you're using the camera for your own personal projects, and it fails or develops a hitch, you're only frustrated with yourself. If you're using it for a paying client, shooting a one-off gig, you want to know going in, that it was serviced at regular intervals, you've run the tape head cleaner through it, just rolled some sample footage and everything looks good.

Only you can determine what it takes for your comfort level.

David Odell March 22nd, 2008 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice Richard.

I picked up the cam this afternoon and it's a very nice piece of cam.
It seems that it's been in fairly used so I will not make a check-up right away.

But something else, does anybody know where I can buy this "adapter holder" which sits on the right end of the cam?
I’m referring to just the plate not the battery, the part is supposed to come with the bundle.

Thanks again
David