DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   7 seconds to get power !!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/118061-7-seconds-get-power.html)

Brendan Marnell March 29th, 2008 06:35 AM

7 seconds to get power !!!

Big shock to find that it takes seven seconds to get my new XL2 to power up.

Even a senile raptor would be long gone by that time.

What am I missing ? Is there a way of delaying the power-save cut-off or of speeding up the re-power?

Jay Gladwell March 29th, 2008 08:20 AM

I'm not certain I understand what the problem is. I'm not aware of any digital divice (computer, digital camera, cell phone, ipod, television, receiver/amp., etc.) that powers up instantly.

It is what it is. You learn to deal with it.

Brendan Marnell March 29th, 2008 09:22 AM

Hello Jay,

It's the duration that slows down my response rate.

Digital Rebel can shoot within 3 seconds of switch-on.
Canon XM2 (GL2) " " " 4 seconds of switch-on from standby-lock.
Canon HV20 can shoot within 3 seconds of switch-on.

Why does it take XL2 a full 7 seconds to take orders from switch-on or from standby? Maybe I'm not making the best of it.

I'm talking about bird-flight shooting (rather than more predictable situations).

Chris Hurd March 29th, 2008 09:25 AM

For that type of videography, I recommend changing the Power Save mode to VCR Stop for a faster response time (page 33 of the operator's manual).

Kent Frost March 29th, 2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 850566)
I'm not certain I understand what the problem is. I'm not aware of any digital divice (computer, digital camera, cell phone, ipod, television, receiver/amp., etc.) that powers up instantly.

It is what it is. You learn to deal with it.

My Canon EOS 400D is up in less than 2 seconds. So is my Canon S5 IS.

I can't wait for it all just to go with flash memory.

Brendan Marnell March 29th, 2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 850596)
For that type of videography, I recommend changing the Power Save mode to VCR Stop for a faster response time (page 33 of the operator's manual).

For me, this is a super answer.

I've tested it repeatedly this afternoon and it means that I can line up & zoom in on my expected target area, get a manual focus on it usually, use manual mode to get the light right and when the bird appears I have "instant" response using wireless controller. Hopefully I could also flick to autofocus without shaking the cam and follow the flight for a few seconds. Maybe it's less physical to press a preset (to autofocus) button than to flick a stiff switch. I'll have to try that out. Autofocus is quite smart on XL2 anyway.

Thank you, very much, Chris. I was feeling sick about missing the first few seconds of every flying thing. Of course it will save battery if I use it sparingly but with your help I now have the option to do so. P.31 of the current manual.

Greg Boston March 29th, 2008 12:02 PM

Brendan, that VCR stop feature is great at keeping you semi-ready to roll while saving the wear on the tape. That feature wasn't available on the early XL-1.

If you want to save settings while preserving battery, press the standby button. When you wake the camera up, it will remember where everything was set.

I still miss my XL2 cameras at times.

-gb-

Brendan Marnell March 31st, 2008 01:28 PM

Golden Eagle lands in 4 seconds

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Greg.

A link to another version of this clip should be added here in a few days. I can't imagine why, unless I'm just showing off. That's it alright.

Brendan Marnell April 1st, 2008 01:09 PM

Better still if some XL2 experts would please suggest how to make some basic technical improvements in this sort of shooting/framing/editing/presentation (never mind the UWOL aspects) for any general audience ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEHsyYRjx_Q

All comments welcome, negative and positive.

Chris Hurd April 1st, 2008 01:11 PM

Brendan that's a completely different topic now. You should post that as a new thread.

Brendan Marnell April 1st, 2008 03:37 PM

You're right of course, Chris.

New thread is called "Your technical point of view".