Soft case for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 4th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Soft case for XL2

I'm looking for something that will accommodate a battery back (like Anton Bauer), a wireless unit, and a Frezzi camera light. I've seen the Portabrace body armor, and it's, well, uglier than hell. Maybe that's not the most practical assessment, but are there any other options out there?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I use a Kata backpack for my XL2. It might not look very pro as an explorer case but is very good when you have to walk a lot, eventually in the wilderness. The "downside" is that you have to dismount the camera; plus i think it hold everything you said (wireless unit, you mean a wireless mic?)
Michele Coser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Coser View Post
I use a Kata backpack for my XL2. It might not look very pro as an explorer case but is very good when you have to walk a lot, eventually in the wilderness. The "downside" is that you have to dismount the camera; plus i think it hold everything you said (wireless unit, you mean a wireless mic?)
Wireless receiver.
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Marco,

What do you use your wireless receiver for ?
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use the wireless for pretty much everything. Camera mic (usually ME64) is hardwired to channel one. The receiver is currently velcroed to the bracket mount, but I plan to get one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Plate_for.html
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Major Player

I know you said the Portabrace was "uglier than hell" but I have the CTC-3 and it can hold my XL2 with the AB gold mount on it and a couple of Sennheiser Evolution wireless receivers velcroed to the battery attached. And then room for packing other stuff inside.

http://www.portabrace.com/productA-CTC-3

Just a suggestion.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I like Portabrace. I just think the body armor product is ugly. :) Yeah, I was looking at the CTC-3. How tall is it inside. Would a camera light fit on there?
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Major Player

It's just under 12", but the Ultralight 2 I have needs to be taken off before I zip it up. I leave the base on and just fold down the connector and put the light itself into a baggie next to the camera.

I bought it because I do a lot of international travel and it's the only bag I found that is small enough to bring on as carry-on luggage and fit into the overhead bin (most can fit it standing up, but sometimes I lay it on it's back). It's very durable as well...which accounts for the "ugly" looks, but it does protect the camera and the eyepiece.

I'd rather have, at the very least, a different color (black maybe?) because the blue is so well known to many in the industry that they know what I'm probably carrying around...and I don't want to risk the theft.

Anyway, it's worked for me the last 2 years. If you find something else, I'd like to see it.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This is not a soft bag but I beleive it has a lot of potential.

This bag is not specially made for video cameras. However, I am intending to buy one and have the inside with proper foam that would fit my XL2 camera with accessories (batteries, charger...). I also want to carry the camera and a laptop within this bag all together.

The Pro version of this bag can go inside a plane. It is strong enough for you to sit on it.

What do you think of this ? Does anyone know a place where I could get foam made that it would fit a XL2 camera.

Regards!

Daniel
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Paquin View Post
This is not a soft bag but I beleive it has a lot of potential.

This bag is not specially made for video cameras. However, I am intending to buy one and have the inside with proper foam that would fit my XL2 camera with accessories (batteries, charger...). I also want to carry the camera and a laptop within this bag all together.

The Pro version of this bag can go inside a plane. It is strong enough for you to sit on it.

What do you think of this ? Does anyone know a place where I could get foam made that it would fit a XL2 camera.

Regards!

Daniel
Daniel, I suppose you're talking about a hard case (Pelican?), but it's kind of hard to tell based on your description.

If you are looking for a hard case, the Pelicans are highly recommended. I honestly think they'd survive a direct SCUD missile hit. You can get them with "pick and pluck" foam inserts, which you can easily cut away yourself to fit your camera--no need to pay extra for die-cut foam.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hello Jarrold,

I am sorry, I've forgot to put this link http://www.zuca.com/zuca_pro/index.html

It's not a Pelican case but a ZUCA Pro.

I already own a Pelican case and I really like it. When I go and film on site I use the Pelican case to hold video stuff.

Since I never leave my cameras on site (mostly arena), I then need something to bring the cameras and the the laptop with me to the hotel. This is why I am now looking for something smaller.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders