16:9 On Cable Broadcasting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 On Cable Broadcasting?

Hey everyone.
I run a television show on the local channels here in Maryland, and everything is shot on the XL2. We shoot in 16:9, edit, and burn a DVD copy which gets sent to Comcast and they broadcast it for us.

BUT.

Somewhere along the line the footage ends up 4:3 on the television. I know it's awkward to see 16:9 TV shows sometimes, but is it something I'm doing? It always makes everyone look stretched out, tall, and skinny. Some people appreciate the "illusioned weight loss" i'm sure, but I want my footage looking awesome in 16:9!!!

Any suggestions? Not sure what to do.
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hoag View Post
Hey everyone.
I run a television show on the local channels here in Maryland, and everything is shot on the XL2. We shoot in 16:9, edit, and burn a DVD copy which gets sent to Comcast and they broadcast it for us.

BUT.

Somewhere along the line the footage ends up 4:3 on the television. I know it's awkward to see 16:9 TV shows sometimes, but is it something I'm doing? It always makes everyone look stretched out, tall, and skinny. Some people appreciate the "illusioned weight loss" i'm sure, but I want my footage looking awesome in 16:9!!!

I'll venture a guess that your sending them an anamorphic DVD; if you send them a letterboxed 4:3, your resolution will take a hit but it will be that much closer to "idiot-proof".
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
I'll venture a guess that your sending them an anamorphic DVD; if you send them a letterboxed 4:3, your resolution will take a hit but it will be that much closer to "idiot-proof".
So should I start shooting everything in 4:3?

Ehhh yuckyyyy
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I think what Benjamin was suggesting was to drop your finished 16:9 video into a 4:3 timeline to letterbox it before exporting the footage for DVD. This way when it is broadcast, it will display properly on a 4:3 television. All broadcast television is 4:3 unless it is HD, that is where letterboxing comes in handy.

If you want it to broadcast full screen, then yes you should shoot in 4:3, but if you would rather shoot 16:9 than drop the footage into a 4:3 timeline to letterbox it, perfectly acceptable.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #5
New Boot

Comcast do not do 16:9 standard def. All of the PEG and leased access channels on Comcast are SD.

Geren Mortensen
Engineer
Howard County GTV / HCCTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hoag View Post
Hey everyone.

BUT.

Geren Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Or you could transcode it to square pixels adding extra pixels on the horisontal lines. And deliver as a H264/Mp4 format. I don't know if they would accept that tho.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Whatever Dvd player they are using to play your Dvd back is setup for a widescreen TV. The setup menu on their Dvd player can be changed for a regular 4:3 Tv and then it will add the black bars in for you and you'll get that extra resolution. Your Dvd's are fine, their Dvd player just needs adjusted.
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If you are going to supply 16:9 material to a 4:3 broadcaster there is one, count it ONE way to deliver: place your 16:9 timeline in a 4:3 timeline, render and deliver letterbox. PERIOD. A broadcaster does not function like a DVD player.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders