Canon XL2 and S-Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL2 and S-Video

I recently purchased this camcorder and is wondering if its possible to send a live feed from the XL2 to my PC via S-Video. Ive tried to use the firewire connection however Im having a hard time getting the 1394 port to stay inside the XL2. After 6 months of dealing with the 1394 port loose. Somehow the XL2 stop working. We called Cannon and they said we fired the circuit board via the 1394 port in the XL2. We've been using the 1394 port so we can display Easy Worship on the two projector screens we have in service. Now that Cannon said they wont replace my XL2 again. Im wondering can I use the S-Video port in the back of my PC, instead of my firewire connection. Also if not is there a third party software or device that we can use. Also is there a easier way to get my footage straight to DVD.
Jerome A. Franks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would, for sure, send the camera for repair.

As per your question, the answer is "yes" but you need to acquire something else.

If you have a firewire port on your computer I would then connect the S-VIDEO cable to a Canopus ADVC-110 (along with the audio) which would then be connected to your PC 1394 port.

Make sure the S-VIDEO cable is long enough but not too long. Unfortunately, the S-VIDEO signal is not as sharp as the DV signal. What I've experimented it only get worst if your cable is way to long.

Good Luck!
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Paquin View Post
I would, for sure, send the camera for repair.

As per your question, the answer is "yes" but you need to acquire something else.

If you have a firewire port on your computer I would then connect the S-VIDEO cable to a Canopus ADVC-110 (along with the audio) which would then be connected to your PC 1394 port.

Make sure the S-VIDEO cable is long enough but not too long. Unfortunately, the S-VIDEO signal is not as sharp as the DV signal. What I've experimented it only get worst if your cable is way to long.

Good Luck!
Will this allow for real-time recording or at least work with Easy Worship.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you were able to perform real-time recording with the Easy Worship software before. That should still be the case.

The one thing it would not let do would be to control your camera from your software (start and stop....) your camera. The reason being is the video signal is analog with the S-VIDEO and converted to numeric by the Canopus.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
If you were able to perform real-time recording with the Easy Worship software before. That should still be the case.

The one thing it would not let do would be to control your camera from your software (start and stop....) your camera. The reason being is the video signal is analog with the S-VIDEO and converted to numeric by the Canopus.
Cool this product sounds like a winner to me. I know this is a long shot but is there a way to record straight to disc w/o including a PC
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Are you talking like a hard disk on a DVD recorder. If this the case, this is what I do all the time. It was used as a backup.

Last edited by Daniel Paquin; June 5th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Daniel Paquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Are you talking like a hard disk on a DVD recorder. If this the case, this is what I do all the time. It was used as a backup.
Yes sir... Without using a PC I would love to record straight to DVD in real time. If I have to use a PC and record straight to the hard drive then I dont mind as long as it's real time. I dont want to do double work. Record the message then hook up FCP to Caputer and Log my footage then edit what I do and dont want. BTW Thanks for the help so far you've given me great insight and information.
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello Jerome,

You've mentioned FCP, do you mean Final Cut Pro. If this is the case, I use FCP when doing Video Editing.

To capture real time for FCP I've been using DV Monitor Pro http://www.redlightningsoftware.com/Home.html and have been very please with it. Over the last month, I've filmed many shows and recorded real time on the hard drive using Dv Monitor Pro. In the same time I've recorded the filming on a DVD recorder Disk Drive (Pioneer 533H) and on miniDV tape. The whole thing is always plugged onto a UPC. I can only then enjoy filming, I've covered the angles as much as I could.

For doing, live video show, there is Wirecast http://www.varasoftware.com/products/wirecast/ which can be used, I did not have to use it so far but only heard good thing about it.

Good luck!
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
Trustee

Jerome,
For what its worth, when and if you decide to have the 1394 port repaired on the XL2, make sure that when using it in the future while connected to this port that you lock down the firewire cable to alleviate tension on the port connection.

Maybe the angle and placement of the port does induce awkward cable strain that compels the connection to be loose, but I typically loop my cable through the thumb-sized bracket hole before plugging in the 1394 cable with a little extra slack so that there is no undue strain or lax in the cable that might introduce potential faults in the connections.

Good luck with it.

-Jon
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #10
New Boot

So let me ask you question. My 1394 port on the XL2 is loose. Is that normal or do I need to send the camera back and tell them that its still not working. Because if the port was tight on the camera it would solve all the problems.
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Jerome,

Like Jonathan mentioned it is important that you lock down the firewire cable to alleviate tension on the port connection. In not doing so it increase the risk for the connection to become loose.

Not only that, as you know but there is nothing worst than filming and loosing frame because of a bad connection. Unfortunately, the 4 pin firewire is not the best and all have a high risk to become loose.

This is the reason that I always, once all cables are installed, used duct tape (on the shoulder pad under the XLR connections) to prevent the firewire cable connected to the camera from moving. Also, I am always very careful when connecting and unconnecting the firewire cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders