DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   need two UHF mics for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/125450-need-two-uhf-mics-xl2.html)

Wajahat Abbasi July 7th, 2008 07:07 AM

need two UHF mics for XL2

i am conducting some inteviews with Canon xl2 using my wireless mic Sony UWPC2 , my problem is the person taking interviews swtiches mics alot between himself and the person he is interviewing , which make most of the sentences record incomplete.

I was thinking if i can have another mic attached (colar or tie not handheld) to the person we are interviewing so that i wont miss any thing he says ... i need to have that mic wireless as well because this is all done outdoor (we interview Djs and night club owners outside differnet clubs).

What are my options? if i get some thing like Sony UWP-C1 , would it work ? do i need to have two recievers ? also ... how would i attach two recievers on the XL2 of some one have done this .... i am new to this world ! ...

Thank you

Mike Teutsch July 7th, 2008 08:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wajahat,

You need two receivers for two transmitters, unless you buy one that has dual channels. The UWP-C1's are very nice and work great. I mount two on my cameras with a simple bracket made from a piece of plastic and two CB Mic-holder brackets. See the picture.

The mic-holders are very inexpensive and are easily clearanced to hold the receivers. That is depending on the ones you find, some need no modification at all.

Good luck and I love my UWP-C1's by the way. On the second picture, of my old XL2, the rubber bands are because of the UWP-C1's wire brackets, not the mic-holders. I was banging around Disney World for five days following a family and I did not want to knock them off. They are not needed generally.

Mike

Wajahat Abbasi July 7th, 2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch (Post 904035)
Wajahat,

You need two receivers for two transmitters, unless you buy one that has dual channels. The UWP-C1's are very nice and work great. I mount two on my cameras with a simple bracket made from a piece of plastic and two CB Mic-holder brackets. See the picture.

The mic-holders are very inexpensive and are easily clearanced to hold the receivers. That is depending on the ones you find, some need no modification at all.

Good luck and I love my UWP-C1's by the way. On the second picture, of my old XL2, the rubber bands are because of the UWP-C1's wire brackets, not the mic-holders. I was banging around Disney World for five days following a family and I did not want to knock them off. They are not needed generally.

Mike

thanks for quick reply, so Sony UWPC2 would work in the presence UWP-C1's without a problem ? .. how do you set it up ? also did you built that two receiver holder or bought it from some place? i need to get this too !
i have never seen UWP-C1's so i need to ask a silly question.. how do they work ? just like we see people on TV mic goes around Tie area and a transmitter on the belt clip ... correct? mic os wired with the transmitter ?
thanks

Mike Teutsch July 7th, 2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wajahat Abbasi (Post 904038)
thanks for quick reply, so Sony UWPC2 would work in the presence UWP-C1's without a problem ? .. how do you set it up ? also did you built that two receiver holder or bought it from some place? i need to get this too !
i have never seen UWP-C1's so i need to ask a silly question.. how do they work ? just like we see people on TV mic goes around Tie area and a transmitter on the belt clip ... correct? mic os wired with the transmitter ?
thanks

Yes, the UWPC1's are the same unit as the UWPC2's, only with the body-pack and lav. Best to get to different frequency ranges. I have 62's and 66's.

Yes, lavs are the small mic that goes on your tie, collar, etc..

I built the holder, as previously mentioned. Just two Citizens Band or Marine radio hand-held mic holders. I think they were two for $5.00. Attach them to anything, even a small piece of thin plywood. I used a piece of plastic.

Mike

Wajahat Abbasi July 7th, 2008 09:58 AM

Thank you i just order one for my self !!!!

Marco Leavitt July 12th, 2008 05:15 PM

Hey, you might want to check out the AT1800 system. It has a dual receiver that mounts really easily on the back of the stock bracket plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

Wajahat Abbasi July 14th, 2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt (Post 906492)
Hey, you might want to check out the AT1800 system. It has a dual receiver that mounts really easily on the back of the stock bracket plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

thanks for the suggestion .. i already bought Sony UWPC2 , and now i am trying to figure out how it mount it as not i have 2 Exect same recievers ... any suggestions?

thanks

Marco Leavitt July 14th, 2008 11:51 AM

Yeah, I can see that. The Sony is supposed to be pretty good system. Still, the AT dual receiver is such an elegant solution for the XL2. It helps balance the camera nicely for one thing, and you don't have to jerry rig it on there either. Just a bit a velcro on the mounting plate and it's on there solidly. Plus with AT you have access to their excellent line of lavs, and other accessories such as a boundary mic, headset mic, etc. which are all made for their wireless system. Also, you can mix between the channels easily, such as putting both wireless on one channel (with individual volume controls) and the camera mic or some other wired mic on the remaining channel. If it were me, I'd sell the Sony for the AT, or just keep it and have three wireless units, which to me is the magic number anyway. Of course, you'd need a mixer to take advantage of all three of them together. Or you could velcro the Sony to the back of the AT receiver and connect to the second track, with the AT mixed down to one track (it has separate gain knobs for each track). That would give you three wireless units. The extra weight is actually helpful with the XL2, which is very nose heavy. Sorry to be so relentless in advocating the AT, but it really is a great low-cost system. If you do it, be sure to upgrade the mics to at least the AT899cw. Sounds much better and is significantly smaller than the stock lavs, and a great deal at about $170 each.

Wajahat Abbasi July 15th, 2008 06:46 AM

thats a pretty good detailed explanation ... thanks a lot .. i will be looking into it !

Wajahat Abbasi July 26th, 2008 08:16 AM

i am trying to set these mics... i am connecting both to the rare XLR connectors (both mics) ,i can hear them both but only one channel on each mic ... that means i get one mic on channel one and other one channel 2 ? it that ok ???? i hear one mic on my right ear and other on my left ear wearing headphones it that nomal? if i shoot like this would i only get sound in in only one speaker later in the post?

Marco Leavitt July 27th, 2008 08:13 AM

Uh, I'm assuming you're talking about the Sony? Yeah with two receivers you record each to the left and the right channels. No way to mix down to one without a mixer.

Wajahat Abbasi July 28th, 2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt (Post 912446)
Uh, I'm assuming you're talking about the Sony? Yeah with two receivers you record each to the left and the right channels. No way to mix down to one without a mixer.

Thanks for your reply marco .... i am actaully from Albany too !! (small world) i will be going to NYC to shoot a live band on 48th St tommorrow .. ill let you guys how it went later!

thanks