Unusual Color Bands at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 27th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Unusual Color Bands

I'm seeing yellow and blue vertical banding (yellow on left and blue on right) when shooting in darker locations such as wedding receptions. I'm using the XL2 20x lens without any attachments other than the lens hood. I've tried switching lenses, shooting with the lens cap on (for extra darkness) and the camera is still showing the color bands. The interesting thing is when I turn gain to 0, the bands disappear. I also don't see any color bands when shooting 4:3. My best guess is that it is something electronic with digital gain. I attached two screenshots with thumbnails. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what to do next? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual Color Bands-thumbnails.jpg   Unusual Color Bands-thumbnails2.gif  

Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Question of curiosity, when you connect your camera to a TV monitor, do you still see the vertical banding?
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Yes. Unfortunately I see the vertical banding when the camera is connected to the TV "live" and also during recording (both via tape and tapeless via a Firestore DTE).
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer.

Unless someone went through the same problem and knows how to fix it, you may have to bring your camera to Canon for services. Hopefully, your camera is still under warranty. If this is the case I would not hesitate one second.

I could have tought it was the cassette, but this is not the case since you see the bar with the TV live.

Your comments says that you've tried it with other lenses. However, it does not exist when shooting 4:3, I would then believe there is something wrong with the camera.

I wish I am wrong!

Good luck!
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brad, did you ever find out what the issue was, I am having a similar problem but I need to do some testing..
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders