DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings for Night, and cloud time lapses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/133889-settings-night-cloud-time-lapses.html)

Nathan Gogol September 22nd, 2008 12:05 AM

Settings for Night, and cloud time lapses

Hi, I finally got on board with this site and am excited, I do have many questions with this camera, right now I am trying to get the preset program going with my camera but tough luck since I have a mac and they are only for windows so trying to get paralles going with them. Anyhow, some of the questions I do have I am sure have been answered on here at some point and i have looked a bit but I am strapped for time these days to look for long periods of time. So here it goes, hope to hear from someone.

1) I love shooting time lapses of clouds, skys, work, whatever. The problem is it seems like the right approach is to leave it on auto am I right, if I leave it on my manual, things kinda get exposed wrongs especially as daylight changes, any recommendations for this.

2) Night, heard its pretty much not possible, but figured I'd ask if anyone has had luck. I would guess 30p, shutter down to 1/8, tripod, thats it, What about northern lights. I live in the country and would love to capture some night stuff.

3) Canon extender, Anything I should know about this. What does it do to aperture??

4) What does the MIC ATT actually do, manual doesn't say???

5)Filters, I have like a ND, Polarizer and little things like that, I've noticed on time lapse reflections on the lens, can one actually even use this filters???

6) K, crans/jibs, I've seen XL2 on them, how would one controll the focus and stuff. Anyone know ever built one or knows anything along those lines.

7) FOCUS- one thing I ain't to impressed with this camera. Is it me or is the autofocus not that great. not htat being said, can it have infinite focus. The DVX was good for that but I can't seem to find the sweet spot in this 20x Lense.

I know I had other questions but I will be very happy if anyone can help me with these.I just hope I can et these preset things going.

Thanks
Nathan

Nathan Gogol September 30th, 2008 11:10 PM

Just trying to keep this alive. I know it seem like a lot of questions but if anyone has any help for one of them that would be awesome. Hope to hear form someone.

David Odell October 1st, 2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Gogol (Post 940735)
Hi, I finally got on board with this site and am excited, I do have many questions with this camera, right now I am trying to get the preset program going with my camera but tough luck since I have a mac and they are only for windows so trying to get paralles going with them. Anyhow, some of the questions I do have I am sure have been answered on here at some point and i have looked a bit but I am strapped for time these days to look for long periods of time. So here it goes, hope to hear from someone.

1) I love shooting time lapses of clouds, skys, work, whatever. The problem is it seems like the right approach is to leave it on auto am I right, if I leave it on my manual, things kinda get exposed wrongs especially as daylight changes, any recommendations for this.

2) Night, heard its pretty much not possible, but figured I'd ask if anyone has had luck. I would guess 30p, shutter down to 1/8, tripod, thats it, What about northern lights. I live in the country and would love to capture some night stuff.

3) Canon extender, Anything I should know about this. What does it do to aperture??

4) What does the MIC ATT actually do, manual doesn't say???

5)Filters, I have like a ND, Polarizer and little things like that, I've noticed on time lapse reflections on the lens, can one actually even use this filters???

6) K, crans/jibs, I've seen XL2 on them, how would one controll the focus and stuff. Anyone know ever built one or knows anything along those lines.

7) FOCUS- one thing I ain't to impressed with this camera. Is it me or is the autofocus not that great. not htat being said, can it have infinite focus. The DVX was good for that but I can't seem to find the sweet spot in this 20x Lense.

I know I had other questions but I will be very happy if anyone can help me with these.I just hope I can et these preset things going.

Thanks
Nathan

Hi Nathan,

There is not much happening at this section of the forum but I will try to answer a few on my limited knowledge. (Iv own the camera for 8 moths now, but filmed with DVX two years before.) Have you seen the XL2 tour? Here: XL2 FEATURE TOUR

2. Film with high master pedestal and setup level, even bright the Black to stretch. Then you will have it easier to work with during postproduction.

7. The focus on the DVX is easier since there’s less resolution to focus on; more resolution with the XL2 is harder to focus on. But since I don't use the 20x I can't say if it retains infinite focus (uses 16x manual). Although if you want AF then work in good light.

Nathan Gogol October 1st, 2008 10:25 AM

Thank you so much for the tip with the night shooting. Hopefully I can get something. The sky''s are absolutely rediculous right now where I live. Out back on my farm in Northern canada, great time of year for star gazin. Has anyone had any problems using screw on filters???

David Odell October 1st, 2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Gogol (Post 945590)
Thank you so much for the tip with the night shooting. Hopefully I can get something. The sky''s are absolutely rediculous right now where I live. Out back on my farm in Northern canada, great time of year for star gazin. Has anyone had any problems using screw on filters???

What problem have you experiensed? I mostly use a B&W polariser when shooting outside. And never hade any problems.

Shoot!

Björn Rehder October 1st, 2008 01:16 PM

I've been shooting with the XL2 for some years now and I'm very happy with it. ( also a DVX 100 AE but won't touch it any more)

I might not be able to answer all your questions but I'll try.

point 1): XL2 has fantastic time lapse controls (XL H1 doesn't for some weird reson). I would not use Automatic but rather "Manual". gives you much better control and is more realistic with changing light conditions.

Point 2: XL2 has remarkable low light capturing capabilities. Tripod = yes / lowest shutter speed (clouds don't move that fast) Gain +3dB at most (otherwise stay at 0 whenever possible)

Pont 3: Canon extender.....I unfortunately don't own one so I can't comment but google will return lots of answers.

Point 4: MIC ATT attenuates the signal for your XLR input. Connect an external mic and experiment with ATT ON/OFF. You will be pleasantly surprised. It attenuates by ( if I remember correctly) by 20dB. All unwanted hiss and rumble is eliminated. I keep mine constantly on on ATT and if needed I normalize audio in post.

Point 5: I'd use a (circular) Polarizing filter for daytime shoots of clouds

Point 6: I use use one of my XL2 on a ABC crane/Jib and use the Zoey remote(LANC) controller for start/stop - focus - zoom

Point 7: It's you : -) no seriously...Have fiddled with your dioptric wheel? (one thing many photographer forget to adjust!!!)

hope this helps

Nathan Gogol October 8th, 2008 11:10 PM

Thanks

Thanks alot guys for all your help. As for the filters, the reason I asked is because on day I set a camera up for Time Lapse and I had a UV filter on and there was like points when light was coming in that the lens was reflecting onto the filter and it distorted the image.

As for the focus on the lens. Well, this is a 20x lens, I just think there is no infinite focus point on the lens and do believe that the diopter is not the problem, .

Once again, thanks everyone