Timecode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM   #1
Tourist

Timecode

Can anyone help me to understand timecode. Is it like a counter on a player that it really doesn't exist? I once saw timecode actually on a VHS tape. Tell me its purpose and how to use it.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank
Frank Compoccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Start here.

Time code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks but I need to know about it more extensively like what I posted.
Frank Compoccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Frank,

Sounds like your confusion is between the systems internal timecode (not visible) as opposed to the timestamp that's burned into the actual video display. The timecode is typically used to syncronize multiple recording devices (cameras, audio recorder, etc), a great time-saving device when lining up media streams in post production.

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Frank, your request was pretty broad - so I sent you to a good source which would get you started, and allow you to follow links wherever your interest might lie.

Timecode that you saw on a vhs, MIGHT have been whats called a 'window dub'. THere is no way to answer your question, with the information you provided - so any answer would be pure speculation, and perhaps counterproductive to the purpose of your inquiry.

A window dub, is a 'burned in window' that illustrates the SOURCE TIMECODE that might be captured on that particular tape. The timecode in the small window represents the timecode of the original SOURCE TAPE, not the running timecode of the actual VHS tape that you are watching. Therefore its possible to watch a VHS of a program, with timecode in a window, where the timecode JUMPS forward or backward when a cut is made, indicating where that particular clip exists on a given original source tape.

OR - It could actually BE a reference timecode that someone overlaid on an original VHS dub, for reference purposes.

No way to tell from your questions.

You will have to give specific questions, if you want specific answers.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Basically, it's the counter for the Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames of a videotape (whether it's MiniDV, Beta, DigiBeta, SxS, P2, whatever)...all these formats have that timecode. That way, when editing, there's a standard that editors can use to locate a specific frame, scene, etc. on the tape.

How the timecode "counts" frames differs whether you're NTSC, PAL, Drop-frame or non-drop-frame.

That's the really short, BROAD definition.
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Using Free Run Time Code as an External
Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots

XL2 Free Run Time Code as an External Sync by Chris Hurd
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders