Importing into Adobe Premiere - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Importing into Adobe Premiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Roberts View Post
The motion blur should be coming from the having to re-export the clips and adjusting for the corrupt frames. Unfortunately there isn't too much you can do about that at this point because the only way to get rid of the blur would be to keep the footage as is. Basically AE has to fake those missing frames in order to make the footage match. That is the blending your seeing. Frame dropping doesn't make the footage any sharper no. Basically your losing information so the detail goes away too. Think of how HD footage for a basket ball game is shot usually at 60i. The level of detail is quite different from a short film shot in 24fps. As far as going to vegas, I'd hate for you to have to go outside of PPro, but for quality of your final piece, it might be best to stick with that since it keeps your footage intact. Another possiblity might be to bring the footage into vegas and export it out from there again, so that you can get in into PPro with no issue. Hope this helps. :)
Sorry for not responding earlier. Things got crazy these past of couple of days. I haven't worked much on the footage since we last spoke but I got a bigger hard drive and am going to try exporting everything again with lossless from within Vegas one last time. If it doesn't help then I will just do the titles in Premiere & AE and the editing in Vegas. By the way, I happened to notice today that some videos on Youtube won't play on my browser. I was wondering if there could be something wrong with the AVI codec. As far as the blur goes, I thought so too about frame dropping making it worse. Speaking of that, the XL2 seems pretty prone to motion blur during shooting to begin with. When my colleague uses it in Auto mode, it is really really sensitive, in light or dark conditions. It is a puzzle. He is mostly doing 30p. Is basically the best way to avoid motion blur to shoot in 60i? What are some recommended settings to minimize the blur in XL2? What do you use the most? We are pretty new at this. I am doing the editing and he is the one shooting the footage.

Thanks again for your replies.
Arber Davidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arber Davidi View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier. Things got crazy these past of couple of days. I haven't worked much on the footage since we last spoke but I got a bigger hard drive and am going to try exporting everything again with lossless from within Vegas one last time. If it doesn't help then I will just do the titles in Premiere & AE and the editing in Vegas. By the way, I happened to notice today that some videos on Youtube won't play on my browser. I was wondering if there could be something wrong with the AVI codec. As far as the blur goes, I thought so too about frame dropping making it worse. Speaking of that, the XL2 seems pretty prone to motion blur during shooting to begin with. When my colleague uses it in Auto mode, it is really really sensitive, in light or dark conditions. It is a puzzle. He is mostly doing 30p. Is basically the best way to avoid motion blur to shoot in 60i? What are some recommended settings to minimize the blur in XL2? What do you use the most? We are pretty new at this. I am doing the editing and he is the one shooting the footage.

Thanks again for your replies.
The codec in youtube is actually flash, so I don't think the avi codec would really mess with it. As far as shooting 60i to get rid of motion blur, in theory should help out with that (more frames means more detail) but one downside is you will loose some of that filmesk quality from shooting at a lower frame rate. Making sure your seen is well lit and keeping your shutter speed high should also help. I was shooting in 60i for awhile but was recommended by another vimeo user (steven dempsey) to just stick with 30. 60i is great for higher detail, but unless you need some slow-motion footage, your fine with just 30.

If your not already a user on vimeo you should join too. Some really great resources on there. I have a few groups going now that might interest you as well. Here's a link to my profile:

Emrys Roberts on Vimeo

Add me as a contact and join the groups. I'd love to see some of your footage once you guys get further as well. :)
Emrys Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys Roberts View Post
The codec in youtube is actually flash, so I don't think the avi codec would really mess with it. As far as shooting 60i to get rid of motion blur, in theory should help out with that (more frames means more detail) but one downside is you will loose some of that filmesk quality from shooting at a lower frame rate. Making sure your seen is well lit and keeping your shutter speed high should also help. I was shooting in 60i for awhile but was recommended by another vimeo user (steven dempsey) to just stick with 30. 60i is great for higher detail, but unless you need some slow-motion footage, your fine with just 30.

If your not already a user on vimeo you should join too. Some really great resources on there. I have a few groups going now that might interest you as well. Here's a link to my profile:

Emrys Roberts on Vimeo

Add me as a contact and join the groups. I'd love to see some of your footage once you guys get further as well. :)
Sorry Emrys. It's been a while since I last posted to this thread. I have been rather busy with my regular work so haven't spent much time on the forum. I am also not done working on the last video yet. Don't know what the deal is but Vegas keeps crashing every time it does not find a file that was missing. Don't know why all this trouble is following us with this project. It is humorous in its own way. For the whole week that I've been using Vegas, I find it rather awkward to use. I don't like for instance how you cannot rearrange the layout elements or that you cannot center the preview monitor. Perhaps it is that I am not as familiar with it as I am with Premiere. I wish I had been able to edit the clips in PPro, otherwise this project would be long done by now. Except for the fact that premiere does the weird "green thing" and that it will not import clips in their entire length. At this point, I am also giving Pinnacle Studio 12 a shot and so far seems like it is a decent software. The one thing I have noticed though is that audio appears to be out of sync with video in certain segments. Not sure why that is. I really did not think I was going to jump around this much but at the same time, it's good to get a feel for other alternatives to PPro.

I am not sure if I should start a new thread about this but I thought I'd ask:
We have been trying to figure out why the XL2 is very sensitive to motion. When we have it all in autofocus, 30p mode, the slightest of movements causes blur. A person moving across the screen also causes blur. We thought maybe at first this was something related to low light environments, but it also does it in well-lit ones too. We have tried setting the camera on Av and Tv mode, and specifically going for 1/30 shutter speed and that still does it. We have tried turning the lens to M mode too, yet the camera still seems to be distracted by objects, the slightest movement will make one thing or another blur. Isn't the motor supposed to not turn in M mode? Steady shots produce excellent quality but having a clear picture with moving objects has been a pain so far. Could it be a technical issue with the camera? What parameters do you suggest we use to avoid this? Also, would you mind explaining the presets a little? Is that a solution to this case?

I am going to join vimeo in a little bit and post some footage so you can see what it is I am talking about.

Thanks for the handholding! Most appreciated!
Arber Davidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arber Davidi View Post
Sorry Emrys. It's been a while since I last posted to this thread. I have been rather busy with my regular work so haven't spent much time on the forum. I am also not done working on the last video yet. Don't know what the deal is but Vegas keeps crashing every time it does not find a file that was missing. Don't know why all this trouble is following us with this project. It is humorous in its own way. For the whole week that I've been using Vegas, I find it rather awkward to use. I don't like for instance how you cannot rearrange the layout elements or that you cannot center the preview monitor. Perhaps it is that I am not as familiar with it as I am with Premiere. I wish I had been able to edit the clips in PPro, otherwise this project would be long done by now. Except for the fact that premiere does the weird "green thing" and that it will not import clips in their entire length. At this point, I am also giving Pinnacle Studio 12 a shot and so far seems like it is a decent software. The one thing I have noticed though is that audio appears to be out of sync with video in certain segments. Not sure why that is. I really did not think I was going to jump around this much but at the same time, it's good to get a feel for other alternatives to PPro.

I am not sure if I should start a new thread about this but I thought I'd ask:
We have been trying to figure out why the XL2 is very sensitive to motion. When we have it all in autofocus, 30p mode, the slightest of movements causes blur. A person moving across the screen also causes blur. We thought maybe at first this was something related to low light environments, but it also does it in well-lit ones too. We have tried setting the camera on Av and Tv mode, and specifically going for 1/30 shutter speed and that still does it. We have tried turning the lens to M mode too, yet the camera still seems to be distracted by objects, the slightest movement will make one thing or another blur. Isn't the motor supposed to not turn in M mode? Steady shots produce excellent quality but having a clear picture with moving objects has been a pain so far. Could it be a technical issue with the camera? What parameters do you suggest we use to avoid this? Also, would you mind explaining the presets a little? Is that a solution to this case?

I am going to join vimeo in a little bit and post some footage so you can see what it is I am talking about.

Thanks for the handholding! Most appreciated!
I just thought of something else that could be a cause of the green flashes in Premiere. I remember a few years I did actually have this problem. Honestly I don't remember completely how I fixed it, but I believe I remember vaguely what I did. At the time I had the a matrox card installed on the PC I was using. I started getting the green frame issues whenever I imported footage that wasn't created by the matrox codec. I don't think you mentioned having the matrox codec, but I think the concept is the same. I believe its a codec conflict issue. The individual files codec has to be conflicting with what premiere's preferences are set to interpret. Premiere sometimes can create preview files for the timeline that go corrupt when it doesn't interpret the footage correctly. At least thats what I have dealt with in the past.

(I remember trying to import some footage from a DVD's VOB files and the clips also had the same reaction you mentioned before of not fully importing the whole clip. (I don't ever recommend importing VOB files under any circumstance by the way. Incredibly unstable. We can get into how to best pull from DVDs later if you need.) This was basically because premiere didn't have the ability to interpret the footage correctly. I think thats an issue you may be having as well.)

Anyway, through all my rambling, I have another couple ideas to try and see if they help. These are keeping in mind the concept of Acoms razor: The simplest solution tends to be the correct one.)

1. It's quite possible that the preview files are going corrupt when they try to generate in the project your working on. Try, just for curiosity sake, turning off the render preview button in the timeline of premiere. This button is underneath the timecode in the timeline panel. Its the one on the far right and when you roll over it it flashes a red and green bar. If you hold the cursor over it, it should say enable and disable previews. Click on it so that it is not checked anymore. You should see the preview bar in the actual timeline go gray. Let's see if that helps anything.

2. Is it possible for you to get a copy of the original tapes that have the footage? Starting from square one by recapturing the footage to Premiere Pro may be the best solution. That way you can have all the control on how the file is created to begin with. If this works, which I believe it would, then you wouldn't have to worry about leaving premiere for any part of your workflow.

3. As far as the XL-2 is concerned; normally motion blur from moving objects when your shooting has to do with have your shutter speed being too slow, and your aperture being opened to wide. Is it doing it to you even when you have everything on full auto? What types of shots are you noticing it happen on the most?

As far as the presets are concerned, these have a number of variables that helps you basically do some initial CC incamera before even getting to post. Here's a good section on the presets for the XL-2:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2...set-files.html

They have some downloadable presets on there as well. I believe with the XL-2, you install them by transferring them to the SD card on the camera, and then loading them from the card when its reinserted into the SD slot. Take a look at that thread. They'll explain it in much better detail then I can. :)

On a final note; If none of these solutions work, then let me know when you have a vimeo account. You can load the files, provided they are under 1GB, and I can maybe download them and take a crack at it. Possibly see if I can't replicate the issue and come up with a solution.

Hope all of this helps. Good luck. :)
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Update:
*Issue with green frames appears to have been resolved. I reinstalled PPro and removed additional codecs that existed on the computer, ac3 filter was one them, and all of a sudden Premiere has no issues with the clips. So that's great! Disabling preview rendering didn't do anything.

Focus issue: The XL2 does it even when all the parameters are set to AUTO. It has no problem with static scenes, i.e. camera does not move, objects don't move. But if one or the other or both move, it does this thing where it flips back and forth as if it is struggling to decide where the focus of the footage should be.

The various settings tried were:

Av mode = all stops
Tv mode = shutter speeds up to 1/500
60i = shutter speed up to 1/60

Oh, and it happens even you are completely zoomed out. I did some research on it yesterday and came across this guide for setting the back focus on XL2s making me wonder if that may be the issue. On a side note, we have a hard shell case for the camera, so we have to take the lens off every time we put it away since that's also what the manual recommends. Does that affect back focus? If it is a back focus issue, I don't see any screws in the back that I need to loosen. Here's the guide:

How to set back focus on XL2

Now that I got Premiere back though, I can get a few clips uploaded on vimeo for you to see. It could be that we've only used the camera twice so far though and may be overanalyzing these issues. I hope that is the case rather than something being physically wrong with it.

Presets: Those are great. I had heard about them before but did not realize they were so widely used. I will try those out, time permitting. I think the colors on the XL2 are by default not too vivid so presets should help with that. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any info at that link about how to revert the parameters back to their defaults by saving them as a separate file.

Thanks for your time again!

Last edited by Arber Davidi; November 13th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
Arber Davidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders