DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings for widest dynamic range.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/139075-settings-widest-dynamic-range.html)

Michael Krumlauf December 6th, 2008 11:20 AM

Settings for widest dynamic range....

What are some good settings so i can get the widest latitude/dynamic range from the XL2?

I want the cleanest image possible with as much detail in the shadows, etc

Mike

Michael Krumlauf January 3rd, 2009 10:18 PM

Bump*

Does anyone out there have any settings that could help me get the most latitude out of the camera?

Josh Bass January 4th, 2009 01:31 AM

I"ll take a stab.

I would set the knee to "low"--this'll allow you to retain the most information in the highlights (point your cam out a window on a sunny day, get everything outside to blow out, and then cycle from "low" to "high", and you should be able to watch the dynamic range change).

As for the shadows/blacks, you have several parameters you can adjust. . .gamma, blacks , master pedestal, and setup.

normal gamma will give you more dynamic range

black stretch will give you more dynmic range

setting master ped and setup to +7 (or whatever the highest to the right you can move the slider) will give you the most detail in dark areas, though at a certain point you won't gain any more detail and will just wash out the picture. You'll have to do some tests to see at what point this happens.

I wanted to note that with some of these settings, though you increase your dynamic range, you do get a weirdness in the darkest parts of the picture, where, even though a certain region may be visible, it won't really have much, if any, color info, but instead will be kind of a grey blue. Almost like it's black and white, except it's got a bluish tinge. This happens when something is way underexposed, but the camera is still trying to give you detail in those areas. I personally find it unattractive (I would rather see the detail fall off to blackness/nothing at that point instead), but to each his own.

Jack Barker January 4th, 2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 988482)
I wanted to note that with some of these settings, though you increase your dynamic range, you do get a weirdness in the darkest parts of the picture, where, even though a certain region may be visible, it won't really have much, if any, color info, but instead will be kind of a grey blue. Almost like it's black and white, except it's got a bluish tinge. This happens when something is way underexposed, but the camera is still trying to give you detail in those areas. I personally find it unattractive (I would rather see the detail fall off to blackness/nothing at that point instead), but to each his own.

I'm with you, Josh. I like my blacks, black.

Josh Bass January 4th, 2009 03:26 PM

Though, depending on your post process (are you shooting footage that you will edit or handing the tape off to someone else?), you can shoot with the weird looking blacks and crush them later, give yourself more playing room.

Peer Landa January 4th, 2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 988765)
more playing room.

I guess "playing room" is what Michael refers to as dynamic range. By the way, this is also how we do it when recording music -- make sure to use the entire dynamic range and then, later, adjust the levels for each track in post.

-- peer

Jack Barker January 4th, 2009 05:32 PM

Yeah, thanks. I understand what "playing room" means.

Michael Krumlauf January 5th, 2009 12:29 AM

Very Cool, thanks for the advice guys :)

You RULE!

Mike~