Buying an XL2 asap at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying an XL2 asap

I'm selling my GL2 for $1300 on Monday and then will use that money plus however much I need (probably $700 or so) to buy a used XL2. I check Craigslist quite often and there are always XL2s added and sold very quickly. I'm hesitant to buy a used XL2, especially of Craigslist. I could buy a used XL2 off Amazon for around $2100 or so, but I don't know if that's safer than buying one off Craigslist.

What I'm trying to ask is, if I happen to find one on Craigslist, what can I do to make sure that the camera I'm buying won't somehow crap out on me within a week, a month, whatever. I'd then have no camera and be out $2000. Is there anything I can do? or am I basically just taking a big risk and there isn't anything I can do to make it less risky?
Nicholas Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Why an XL2?

The world is quickly going HD and by going with the XL2, you are just tying yourself with technology and standards from yesterday. If I were you, I would suggest looking into an HD camera. If you want to stick with canon, I would go for for the XH A1 or XL H1, depending if you want/need shoulder-mount and/or interchangeable lenses. The XL2 is a great camera, but in my opinion, if you need to buy a camera right now, I would go for something HD, unless of course there's a specific reason on staying with the XL2.

As far as your question, what you're doing is pretty much a risk. In fact, I view buying any used equipment as a risk since often they carry no guarantee or warranty. Once it is in your hands, its your responsibility. This would also apply to purchases made on amazon, ebay, or any other online retailer. Being specific to craigslist, it is suggested that you make deals face to face. Craigslist is just a tool to help you find deals, but its highly advised that you meet the person somewhere to examine the product, pick it up, and make the trade/deal/sale/etc. But like I said, there is no guarantee, unless its signed on contract, that what you buy will work. Sure, you can send off the camera for repairs, but that will also cost you more money.

Your best bet is to just save the money and get something new, refurbished, or something from a reputable dealer such as B&H photo and video.
Ryan Valle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Valle View Post
The world is quickly going HD and by going with the XL2, you are just tying yourself with technology and standards from yesterday. If I were you, I would suggest looking into an HD camera. If you want to stick with canon, I would go for for the XH A1 or XL H1, depending if you want/need shoulder-mount and/or interchangeable lenses. The XL2 is a great camera, but in my opinion, if you need to buy a camera right now, I would go for something HD, unless of course there's a specific reason on staying with the XL2.
if I could find an HD camera with an interchangeable lens, and able to shoot at 24fps, I'd definitely consider buying one.
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you cannot afford a new HD camera, the Canon is a super camera and I suspect at the low price you will pay for it you may have no regrets.

I have no issue with buying used, I have bought all four of my previous stable of Sony's used, and all were perfect.

How to know if the camera is good and will last? Just talk to the seller and see if you trust him/her. Find out how the camera was used. If you like what you hear and if you trust the guy/gal, then go for it, you'll be fine unless they are dishonest and you didn't pick that up.

Regarding your requirements for an HD cam: one of the Canons mentioned above has interchangeable lens, I believe and both have 24p.

Otherwise, the Sony HVR-Z7U meets your requirements in all respects.

Sony | HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder | HVR-Z7U | B&H Photo Video
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

pretty steep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I have no issue with buying used, I have bought all four of my previous stable of Sony's used, and all were perfect.

Regarding your requirements: one of the Canons mentioned above has interchangeable lens, I believe and both have 24p.

Otherwise, the Sony HVR-Z7U meets your requirements in all respects.

Sony | HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder | HVR-Z7U | B&H Photo Video
$5,000 though... :\
that would be a mass load of saving up for me. I'm only 19 >.<
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think the XL2 is ideal to buy used. There are lots of them out there as people are migrating to HDV, and they are built really well. The tape transport for instance is a lot tougher than many other cameras. It is scary though. I'd try and buy one locally. You really want to check the camera in person and run it through some tests before you hand over the bucks. As far as the format, heck, the standard delivery medium is still DVD and that's not going to change for a while. I'd expect an XL2 to remain useful for at least a couple of years and beyond. One thing though -- the 3x lens is an absolute must if you are going to get this camera. The 20x lens is great, but is telephoto only. Having both lenses is the best of both worlds. To tell you the truth, if I could have only one or the other, I'd go with the 3x. It's more useful.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

nice man, thanks for the advice. I agree with the 3x lens. I'm going to find one immediately.
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #8
Wrangler

Don't forget to peruse our own classifieds. I have bought really good used gear right here on DVINFO. I also sold my 2 XL2 cameras here a couple years ago. Most folks on here take good care of their gear or are honest enough to state the actual condition of stuff they're selling.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yeah I've been checking the classifieds quite often. Seems this is a pretty trustworthy site, so if I do purchase an XL2 from someone here, hopefully I don't have to worry about being sent a faulty camera.
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Nicholas;
I have an XL2 that I like to sell, I'm near O’Hare If you are for real send me an Email, and we can arrange to meet maybe half way, at a place where we both be comfortable.
My Camera has been use three times in the last two years.
mquinones11@ameritech.net
Mike Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

HD just means that XL2's are getting cheaper and cheaper. If you're just 19, why bother blowing it all and getting an HD? In fact, the GL2 is still a pretty good camcorder.

If you do get it off Craigslist, make sure you meet in person and test the camcorder out. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you see it and check it over. Don't do any of that mailing away stuff.
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders