Please help! Newbie needs DOF advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please help! Newbie needs DOF advice

Hello everyone,

I'm afraid I've never had any formal camera training and I'd like a little help with focus/DOF issues on the Canon XL2. I have the standard 20x lens, and would like to achieve the effect of interviewing someone, obviously in sharp focus, whilst the background is unfocused.

I've tried quite a few times, on manual focus of course, however have found that I always keep everything in sharp focus. I know to some degree the interviewee needs to be close to the camera and the background, further away. But other than that I don't know the theory behind it and whats happening in the camera itself. If I knew this I'd like to think I could master more DOF techniques. If anyone has the time to explain things simply and with a little clear theory, I'd love to learn.

Thank you,

Ryan
Ryan D.G. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This should help some: Videopia - Videopia
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,

That's a great video, it seems I'm on the right track and that my last subject was probably just too close to the background.

Thanks for replying

Ry
Ryan D.G. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Did you try zooming in (and stepping back appropriately), it might create a shallow DOF you are looking for.
Srinivas Swaminathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

And you can always hack your own DOF adapter ;^)
YouTube - cheapest 35 mm DOF adapter

-- peer
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Major Player

I would echo the advice already given: create more distance between the subject and the background. Back up the camera and zoom in to compensate. For the XL2, you will need very extreme distances to get diffuse background blur. (The perspective will also be very flat.)

My advice is based on the fact that it sounds like what you're really looking for is "background blur", not "thin DOF". Backing up and zooming in doesn't affect DOF at all, but it does magnify the background, increasing the size of the blur (if any) in relation to the subject.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Here are a couple of examples of creating an apparent shallow DoF.

The first pic is the set up. The subject is mostly hidden behind the girl in black standing on the right, but it's enough to see the relationship between camera and subject, and subject and background.

The second is the final shot. Everything behind the subject is nicely blurred, bringing the focus of the eye where it belongs.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help! Newbie needs DOF advice-shotsetup-hidden-girl-right-.jpg   Please help! Newbie needs DOF advice-shotcloseup.jpg  

Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you everyone for your advice, and to Jack for supplying the images.
I'm on holiday at the moment so can't try out all this advice until I'm back but thanks again, it's really appreciated.

Ry
Ryan D.G. Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders