DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Gutted XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/141148-gutted-xl2.html)

Björn Rehder January 8th, 2009 10:00 AM

Gutted XL2

or "loose firewire board on the XL2 and how to fix it"

As this is the second time I had to do this "operation" on one of my XL2 cameras, I thought of documenting it with video and hope that it might inspire (or frighten) others to help themselves.

Remember...Do this at your own risk!

Have fun (.......and tell me I'm Insane LOL)

Check the "how to" here: Fix the loose firewire board on the XL2 on Vimeo

Marco Leavitt January 8th, 2009 11:02 AM

Cool video Bjorn! That takes a lot of guts.

Richard Alvarez January 8th, 2009 11:03 AM

WHOA! Brave man! I'm impressed with both the operation, and the video of the procedure. I hope never to have to do this... but I've bookmarked it!

Peer Landa January 8th, 2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björn Rehder (Post 991244)
As this is the second time I had to do this "operation" on one of my XL2 cameras, I thought of documenting it with video and hope that it might inspire (or frighten) others to help themselves.

Oh jeez, I was holding my breath throughout that video, literally. Man, you are the most valiant member of this forum, hands down.

-- peer

Lorinda Norton January 8th, 2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björn Rehder (Post 991244)
...and tell me I'm Insane...

Sure, I'll tell you...you are INSANE. :)

You had my stomach in knots the whole time. But it sure was interesting! Good job!

Björn Rehder January 8th, 2009 03:42 PM

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

I had so much fun doing this video in just 6 hours - that included the repair.

Now what's next? Who knows?
Maybe some more practical videos that are DV/HDV related?

although I'm still intrigued by the inner workings of the latest monopoly game "credit card bank device". I'm sure there must be a way to...

Michael Nistler January 8th, 2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björn Rehder (Post 991445)
Thanks for your kind comments guys.

I had so much fun doing this video in just 6 hours - that included the repair.

Now what's next? Who knows?
Maybe some more practical videos that are DV/HDV related?

although I'm still intrigued by the inner workings of the latest monopoly game "credit card bank device". I'm sure there must be a way to...

Wow Björn,

I'm not sure which impressed me most - your bravery and expertise doing the repair job or the excellent video instruction! Most how-to videos become boring, overlook critical info, etc; not yours - the appropriate use of fast-forward and succinct details with music accompanyment were perfect.

Cudos,

Michael

Ryan Mueller January 8th, 2009 06:18 PM

Very nice DIY video! I'm sure that I will be searching for this thread again at some point. Bravo my friend, bravo!

Don Palomaki January 8th, 2009 07:20 PM

Nice. Wonder if it stands a chance of messing up the back focus adjustment on the stock auto lens?

Björn Rehder January 9th, 2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 991573)
Nice. Wonder if it stands a chance of messing up the back focus adjustment on the stock auto lens?

I suppose only if you are not careful when replacing the lens lock ring. But if you make sure the ring seats properly in the housing, it should be no problem. Maybe I should add that it is advisable to also tighten the screws over cross a bit at a time. By that you have a better chance that the ring settles evenly.

It's a pitty though that the XL2 doesn't have a backfocus adjustment mechanism.

Ryan Mueller January 9th, 2009 09:08 AM

The lack of backfocus adjustment is the only beef I have with this cam. Hey Bjorn, if you figure out a way to adjust the backfocus on these lenses you will be my new hero! I have been running into some serious problems with this issue.

I have sent my newest cam into Canon twice to have the backfocus fixed and every time they tell me that no backfocus issue exists with the lens? They ship the cam back to me set of f8, so I'm sure they didn't open up the iris when checking for backfocus.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack. Just pretty bummed that I can't even get my backfocus fixed!

Anyway, again nice work on that video Bjorn.

Ry

Richard Alvarez January 9th, 2009 10:03 AM

Ryan, if its really getting to you, consider investing in the 16x manual. Its a much sharper lens, and has backfocus adjustment on it.

Ryan Mueller January 9th, 2009 04:41 PM

You are absolutely right Richard, I think that is what I'll do. I promise I'll stop complaining about the whole backfocus issue now lol. I never realized I was so whiney until reading my recent posts. Look out 16x, here I come!

Richard Alvarez January 9th, 2009 04:47 PM

I see them going used for $700-$900 on ebay fairly regularly. About the same here too, though you have the advantage of having a more personal connection through the site here.

Lou Bruno January 10th, 2009 11:51 PM

YIKES!!! Looks like a kidney transplant. :-)