Lens filter broken-> problems ensue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens filter broken-> problems ensue

Hey, this is my first post on this forum. So I'm excited to start it up.
My name is Katie Maguire. I own a Canon XL2 series camera. Earlier this year, the camera fell over and the filter (or digitizer that covers the lens) broke! Fortunately, the lens did NOT break. I got the shattered filter removed professionally, however, I have lots of difficulty keeping the lens cap on the lens (which is no longer with the filter).
What do you think I should do about this?
Thanks,
Katie
Katie Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #2
New Boot

filter ring

Katie,
I'm assumming you have the standard 5.5-88mm. If you can't keep the cap on, and the broken filter has been removed, check to see if a new filter screws on easily. The impact could of caused filter threads to be damaged; if ok, then the cap might be damaged.
James Holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, the lens I have is the standard 5.5 to 88mm zoom lens.
Where could I purchase another filter for this specific lens?
Canon online?
Katie Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Trustee

If I'm understanding correctly, this was an add-on, like UV, clear filter, just to protect the lens? Don't have the specs for that lens at hand but lens filter threads are almost always in some standard size. My XHA1, for example, is a 72mm filter. Find the spec in your manual or on-line, and just buy one of good quality at any camera store....

if the threads got messed up when the lens hit, the filter may not want to thread in, look before you buy. if the threads are ok, then maybe the cap is messed up; again, it's not hard to find a standard aftermarket lens cap (I bought replacements for our staff cameras from Amazon.com and from BHphotovideo.com, you probably can find them at a camera store.)

Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Katie...............

All the Canon XL series lenses take a 72 mm filter.

Look for B+W, Hoya etc and always go for the super expensive "super multi coated" option to prevent unwanted internal reflections.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders