DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   how to run three mics thru Canon XL2 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/144927-how-run-three-mics-thru-canon-xl2.html)

Wajahat Abbasi March 2nd, 2009 12:24 PM

how to run three mics thru Canon XL2 ?

i was connecting two mic up till now with my canon xl2 using both XLRs on the back , but now i need to use three mics for interviewing people ..what is the solution to this .. if i need to buy some thing .. can you guys make recommendations as well

thank you

Edward Carlson March 2nd, 2009 01:16 PM

You need a mixer. There are many options out there. Personally I use a Rolls MX422. It's not the best, but it gets the job done. It has 4 XLR inputs, and 2 XLR outputs, and is powered by 2 9 volt batteries. You can also look at the SoundDevices 302 or 442. Also take a look at this thread under Mixers.

Wajahat Abbasi March 2nd, 2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 1020997)
You need a mixer. There are many options out there. Personally I use a Rolls MX422. It's not the best, but it gets the job done. It has 4 XLR inputs, and 2 XLR outputs, and is powered by 2 9 volt batteries. You can also look at the SoundDevices 302 or 442. Also take a look at this thread under Mixers.

thanks ... i might record discussing later where i might have upto 7 people ... is there some thing with more then 4 inputs? any recommentations?

Edward Carlson March 2nd, 2009 01:39 PM

PSC makes a 6 input field mixer. 7 inputs gets past field mixers and into studio mixers (ie not battery powered/portable ones.) If it's a one-time thing, you can look into renting a studio mixer with 12+ channels.

Wajahat Abbasi March 2nd, 2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 1021014)
PSC makes a 6 input field mixer. 7 inputs gets past field mixers and into studio mixers (ie not battery powered/portable ones.) If it's a one-time thing, you can look into renting a studio mixer with 12+ channels.

ohh this is expensive ... i want to stay under $500-$600 dollers ... then ill stay with a 4-channel mixes .... what is the best mixer i can get in that price range?

Edward Carlson March 2nd, 2009 01:48 PM

The best for your price range would be the DV ProMix 3, but it is only 3 channels. The Rolls MX422 has 4 inputs, but it's preamps are not as good as others. The called "best" are the Sound Devices, but those start at $1,300. I have the MX422 and have had no problems with it. I'm not a true audiophile, but it serves my purposes. The big thing that drew me to the Rolls (besides the price) was the fact that each input had independent control of phantom power.

Wajahat Abbasi March 2nd, 2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 1021025)
The best for your price range would be the DV ProMix 3, but it is only 3 channels. The Rolls MX422 has 4 inputs, but it's preamps are not as good as others. The called "best" are the Sound Devices, but those start at $1,300. I have the MX422 and have had no problems with it. I'm not a true audiophile, but it serves my purposes. The big thing that drew me to the Rolls (besides the price) was the fact that each input had independent control of phantom power.

i will be conducting interviews basically ... no music or any thing other then voices would be recorded ... by ur experince you recommend rolls Mx422 ?

Edward Carlson March 2nd, 2009 02:09 PM

I haven't tested any other field mixers, but based on reviews, it is the best value for the price. The only complaint I have is no low battery indicator, although there is a "check battery level" button. It also comes with an AC adapter if you are hear an outlet.

Wajahat Abbasi March 2nd, 2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 1021039)
I haven't tested any other field mixers, but based on reviews, it is the best value for the price. The only complaint I have is no low battery indicator, although there is a "check battery level" button. It also comes with an AC adapter if you are hear an outlet.

ill be in shooting in a room where i wil have electrical outlets ..so u think i should be ok without batteries then ?

Edward Carlson March 2nd, 2009 02:16 PM

Yeah, the AC adapter is good for situations like that. The batteries can stay in the unit, they just get bypassed when the AC adapter is plugged in.

Chris Hurd March 2nd, 2009 02:58 PM

There's also the Canon MA-300, which is an additional XLR mic input module that attaches to the accessory shoe on top of the XL2. It gives you two more XLR inputs in addition to the two that are already on the camera, for a total of four XLR inputs. You'll have to go into the menu and configure the XL2 for 4-channel audio recording, but it will definitely do what you want for the least amount of money (the MA-300 is $165 at B&H):

Canon | MA-300 Dual XLR Microphone Adapter | 8032A002 | B&H

Hope this helps,

Peer Landa March 2nd, 2009 03:54 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I usually run three mics for interviews etc. using two lavs mics along with the onboard stereo mic -- and then set the XL2 to record 4-channels.

-- peer

Battle Vaughan March 2nd, 2009 04:59 PM

My company has a Sign Video ENG44 4-channel field mixer which is a nice piece of work, in your price range as well. Very pro construction, nice audio.

I have an Azden FMX42, a similar mixer with similar quality and features but with vu meters instead of led peak meters...I've worked with both and find them very usable. I must admit I like the peak reading led's better for digital audio, but both these do the job.

FWIW we started out with a (ok, laugh) Behringer UBB1002 battery-powered mixer (about $100) and, while the preamps are nothing to write home about, in a pinch it works....not that you would want to use this all the time, but for a one-off situation, it will do the job. 18v phantom power in battery mode, 5 xlr input..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Bill Zens March 3rd, 2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1021114)
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I usually run three mics for interviews etc. using two lavs mics along with the onboard stereo mic -- and then set the XL2 to record 4-channels.

-- peer

To take Peer's thought out a little further, assuming you wanted to use three Mic's but not the on-board Mic on the XL2....
Of course, two of the Mic's will use the XLR inputs on the back. Then, disconnect the on-board microphone, and plug the third mic into one of the front mic terminals located on the side of the camera. They are different sized inputs, but one of them is standard 1/8" input. I've used this method several times in recording 3-mic situations, and it works very well.
If all threee of your mic's are XLR, you can get an XLR to 8mm adaptor pretty inexpensively mostly anywhere. This last 6-8 inches or so of unbalanced cabling will have negligible affect on your sound quality.

Dale Guthormsen March 4th, 2009 09:45 AM

Good Morning,

the three mics on the xl2 works just fine as mentioned above with or without the ma 300.

Just in case you did not know this, you will have to capture the multi channel audio with a program like scenalyzer.

It is dirt cheap, works well; however, I have had the driver interfer with adobe drivers. It also does not capture HD.