DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Timecode - shooting with two cameras of different brand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/145613-timecode-shooting-two-cameras-different-brand.html)

Vipul Amin March 11th, 2009 10:53 AM

Timecode - shooting with two cameras of different brand

Hello,

I have a unique situation where I am ending up shooting an live event with two cameras of different brand..My primary one is XL2...and second one is Sony brand.

I have to mix the video part keeping the audio of XL2 (live feed).
I can not use on-site mixer.

How can I achieve this? Would timecode of XL2 and Sony match? Is there any formula?
If I can not use the timecode...what are my options?

Dale Guthormsen March 13th, 2009 08:26 PM

Vipul,

I do shoots with two different cameras farely often and i do not worry about the time code.

Start both at the same time, as close as possible. Clap your hands loudly in front of them or shoot off a strobe. You will use this to sinc them later.

Most cameras do not clock quite exactly the same. So, Odds are you will be able to multi camera edit for 15 minutes or more. However, sometimes you will note that they are slightly out of sinc. Back up on the timeline, resync them on the timeline and carry onward.

It really is pretty staight forward and not difficult at all. I prefer the loud sound as at weddings and events often there are all kinds of flashes going off. If you expand the audio track you can adjust it to the frame easily.

If you have have premiere pro 1.5 or before 2.0 you can use "multicam" program to do the job. Vegas 8.0 is great on its own.

Have fun.

Les Wilson March 14th, 2009 05:13 AM

What Dale said is true. Even though you sync the clips at one point from a flash or spike in the audio track, they will drift after 10-15 minutes to the point where they will be out of sync and you have to re-sync. It is tedious editing and the multi-camera editing capabilities of your NLE aren't really able to be leveraged to their fullest. It is going to take you longer to edit so be prepared.

One technique to sync the two clips if you lack a clear visual or audio sync point is to listen to the audio from both clips. If they are not in sync, you will hear an echo. Adjust them until you zero in on the least amount of echo. More tedium.

In the category of increasing your knowledge about using the timecode capability of your XL2 in multicamera shoots without broadcasting the TC from a TC generator, there's this DVinfo article:

XL2 Free Run Time Code as an External Sync by Chris Hurd

After multi-cam editing a couple events without TC, you may be driven to pick up a used XL2 for camera 2. YMMV

Dale Guthormsen March 14th, 2009 04:40 PM

Les,

curiously, could you do the same thing with an xl2 and an xlh1????

The xlh1 is new to us and I have not used it on a Job yet, found getting the presets right to take me quite awhile. I am ready now to shoot a multicamera event with 2 or 3 cameras.

Les Wilson March 14th, 2009 05:08 PM

I am unfamiliar with the H1. It would need to have the Free Run clock and respond to the XL2 remote control. I'd be surprised if it did not.

Getting the two cameras to color match is a key thing to do. I did it between an XL1s and A1 as well as an XL1s and PD170.