DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   xl2 maintenance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/234222-xl2-maintenance.html)

Derek Grimes April 28th, 2009 12:31 PM

xl2 maintenance

We have 3 xl2's that we use at church. We have been using them for IMAG for about 2 years. Is there any maintenance that we need to be aware of? Does it need to be professionally serviced? Any recommendations on places to clean the heads?

Jeff Anselmo May 1st, 2009 05:44 PM

Hi Derek,

As far as I know, there are only two places that would service XL2s, and that's in Irvine, CA and Jamesburg, NJ.

Support - Digital Camcorder - XL2 - Service Locator - Service Locations - Canon USA Consumer Products

We've been using our XL2 for around 3 years, and have not taken it in for maintenance (crossing fingers :). I've "regularly" used a tape head cleaner, meaning I use it only after I see the dreaded "heads are dirty needs cleaning" flashing in the viewfinder.

FWIW, we shoot outdoors, I'd say, more than 50% of the time; it's been through all sorts of weather, even rode on the back of a muddy, dirty ATV. And the XL2 still performed (but not too well initially; first tape had alot of dropouts).

If you shoot mostly indoors inside a church, I don't think you really need to worry about the XL2's maintenance. Unless, you really, really think they need it.

Best,

Marco Leavitt May 6th, 2009 07:08 PM

This is one of those things that's kind of a bummer about Canon service. I kind of want to get my heads professionally cleaned as well, but nobody will touch it in my area. You have to send it Canon. It's not an easy item to ship.

Jeff Anselmo May 6th, 2009 09:07 PM

Hi Marco,

Have you sent your XL2 for service/cleanup before? I'm just wondering if you say that shipping is a pain in the @$$, maybe I should just drive it there!?! (I have family in Southern California, and have passed the Canon service building in Irvine a few times. Will be going there sometime in July.)

Best,

Marco Leavitt May 6th, 2009 09:25 PM

If you have your original box, it's a bit easier, as the box is designed for the camera to be shipped in. Still, I don't like the idea of it bouncing around with UPS or the postal service or whoever. If you can drive it easily, I'd do that.

Jack Barker May 7th, 2009 09:50 PM

You know, you can go to the Canon web site and join the "club," or what ever it's called. You get some benefits from it (I forgot), and I believe they will send you packaging materials for shipping your XL in for service.

Jeff Anselmo May 8th, 2009 05:08 PM

Hi Marco,

Drat :) I just did throw away the XL2 box just after we moved into our new house!

Hi Jack,

I am a member of the XL Club, so I might have to give them a buzz to see if they can ship out a proper box with proper shipping materials included.

Best,