DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Using IS on a Tripod, 2 Knocks Upon Start-up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/263809-using-tripod-2-knocks-upon-start-up.html)

Caleb Royer August 10th, 2009 06:26 PM

Using IS on a Tripod, 2 Knocks Upon Start-up

Does it hurt anything to use IS on a tripod?

When I turn on my XL2 there are 2 knocks in the camcorder, is that a problem?

Thanks a Lot,

CJ

Greg Boston August 10th, 2009 08:46 PM

IS on the tripod is generally not the best idea. The IS will cause a lag in your pan and tilts as it tries to smooth out what would normally be hand held shake. It won't hurt the camera, and you might want to turn it on in certain situations on the tripod.

As to the knocks on start-up, those are somewhat normal. The IS uses a variable angle prism and you are hearing that prism initializing. If you look into the front of the lens at start-up, you can see this happening as well. All is ok, not to worry. Some XL2 prisms are a little clunkier than others at start up.

regards,

-gb-

Chris Hurd August 10th, 2009 08:52 PM

Be sure to switch OIS off when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

That clicking sound is just a power-on self-test of the OIS mechanism.

Both of these subjects have been discussed here before in great detail, by the way.

Taky Cheung August 10th, 2009 08:52 PM

I used to turn off OIS when on tripod. Then I found out anybody walk near by the camera, the shakes recorded to the video. Now I keep them on.

Chris Hurd August 10th, 2009 09:37 PM

If you have it on then you're pretty much guaranteed to get stutters at the end of a
pan or a zoom... as has been previously reported and discussed here many times before.

Taky Cheung August 10th, 2009 09:40 PM

I think it works for me because this is for my B-roll cam that it is left at wide and un-manned all the time. Pretty much no panning or much movement too. But that's just for me. =D

Luc Fontaine April 19th, 2010 10:17 PM

IS off

I never use IS when shooting on a tripod. I solved that problem easily......anybody that walks within 6 feet of me when shooting gets punched out...lol.

I just get much better results with the IS off when using the tripod.

Best regards

Luc Fontaine

Don Palomaki April 23rd, 2010 04:06 AM

Actually, it is situational. There are lag, overshoot and settle artifacts to OIS/EIS, and they can become apparent in the image when using a tripod, especially at the at the start and end of pans and tilts. In general you get the best results with OIS OFF if you have a good tripod on a steady/stable footing.

However, tripods and the stability of tripod footings/locations are not equal. Consider bleachers at a ball field with spectators coming/going and stamping their feet as one example where there can be a lot of shake/motion that a tripod cannot eliminate. In this case you may have better overall results with OIS turned ON - unless of course you want to convey that audience induced motion effect in your video

Let you eyes and experience judge which works best for you under the circumstances at hand.

Dale Guthormsen April 26th, 2010 07:33 PM

Good evening,

don's post is totally accurate.

My problem is that the shimmer that ois causes when shot off a tripod I can not really see when I am shooting!!!

If you are zooming full length you can also get away with it on at times, particularly outdoors with some wind on the camera!!!

It truly is situational!!

good Post Don!!!!