It's official: Canon XL2 announced - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:52 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Open Architecture on the Inside
Image Quality/Aspect Ratio
"The 3CCD progressive scan system utilized by the XL2 camcorder provides 16:9 (962 x 480 pixels) and 4:3 (720 x 480 pixels) recording. The camcorder's third generation signal processing LSI (large scale integrated circuit) improves Signal/Noise ratio to realize higher resolution than XL1s camcorder.

When selecting the high-resolution 16:9 aspect ratio, the camcorder uses the full width of the CCD. When camera operators look through the viewfinder, their footage will be displayed in letterbox style, so users can compose widescreen images precisely. This way, when the video is later edited in postproduction, or when viewed on a 16:9 monitor, users will see exactly what they intended."

So, does this mean it's true 16:9? Or is it still the "stretch n' chop" method?

"In addition to accepting the full line up of Canon's XL lenses — including the 16x IS II Auto focus lens, 16x Mechanical Servo Zoom lens, 3x Wide Angle, the 1.6x Extender and the EF adaptor for use with Canon's full line of EF photographic lenses - Canon is launching a new Professional L-series 20X Optical zoom lens. "

So it's backward compatible with the older lenses? Sweet!
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

Josh: it looks like it is true 16:9 and progressive. Sweet indeed.

And indeed you can use your old lenses it seems.

I'm quite interested myself in that SDK thing. Can I actually
program this camera... whoooo. Now to wait and see what we
can *actually* change and to with this SDK.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #18
Trustee

Now for me, the question is - how long do I have to wait for a PAL version to appear?

Aaron
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:16 AM   #19
Regular Crew

And thanks most of all

to Chris Hurd....Ive been travelling a lot lately for work but knew something was coming down. If I was going to be among the 1st to know, it would be here. Thanks to this site and my being home for the moment I get to see the news of the XL2. Chris thanks for a great resource time and time again and a place to check out rumours but also find out what is good and bad based on member reviews. I bought my 1st cam with overtime from the Florida Election Recount and thanks to to you and the members here utilized it to my advantage. This site has been a big help to me for years..so most of all when I say thanks its to DVInfo.net and your hard work all these years...

M
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:35 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I second Aaron's remarks about a PAL version, presumably it will just have 25p/50i like the PAL DVX100a.

Does anyone remember how long after the NTSC XL1 and XL1-s were released, that a PAL version became available?

If there are positive reviews of the XL2, it will definitely be my next choice of camera. I'd thought it would be the DVX, but I mean wow! the specs of the XL2 speak for themselves. It seems like the ultimate all in one pro-sumer cam (true prog + 16:9 + Changeable lenses!).

I also second Michel's comments. Great stuff Chris and the board/forum, the best DV information site by far.

Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #21
Tourist

Pal version

I just know, that the XL1s I have, which is a PAL version, was bought in Germany in October 2001, and I think, then it was quite new...

Damn.... just bought myself that XL1s some weeks ago.... hope I didn't pay too much... (at least I got a lot of accessory togheter with the cam...)
Hannu Honkela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:46 AM   #22
Trustee

Dave, I held off getting a DVX because of the rumours and I'm happy I did. Lets hope we can get some real detailed specs soon to see what's really up with it. I'm skeptical it's going to be lots better than the DVX (Sure 16:9 is nice, but not something I find that important) but I've been wanting a camera that looks more pro and if it's as good as the DVX, I'm sold.

Aaron
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:21 AM   #23
Old Boot

Is this gonna be Grazie's No1 cammera? Will his XM2 be the back-up? Stay tuned ! Same time . . . Same Channel!

. .ooo the prgraming looks kinda funky . .. AND a built in shoulder rest .. AND the built in XLRs .. oh one of the features is that you can use the VL3 Canon Light . .ah sweet . .even a place for the VL3 . ..

C'mon you Pallies!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #24
RED Code Chef

I've made a summary of the specs we know thus far. More
information should arrive shortly.

click here for a summary of the specs

Old July 13th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #25
Wrangler

OK, so which Beta testers are going to comment?

The announcement is more than an hour old now. Is it time to start the XL3 (XL2s?) wish list forum!
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #26
Slash Rules!

Ok seriously. . .how come, with all this fanciness, we still get a 20x version of the ISII lens? Doesn't canon know, by now, that almost everyone who's going to own one of these will be using it for some type of professional application (filmmaking, video production, whatever), and would therefore greatly benefit from the STOCK lens having marked/calibrated focus and zoom rings, like real ENG cameras, ditto iris, macro focus, back focus adjustment? I really don't get it. Is it the cost? Would it drive up the price point too much? Wouldn't we all rather have a 20x equivalent of the 16x manual lens as the STOCK lens? Couldn't they throw in an autofocus, somehow? Seriously, I don't get it.

Also, don't suppose there's a chance they'll offer a deal where you can exchange your XL1s body for an XL2 body? :-)
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #27
Trustee

I agree Josh, but then again it must be the price. They can charge a lot for the camera, and those of us wanting a real lens will go out and buy one on top of the cam.

Aaron
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:54 AM   #28
Major Player

No HDV, no excitement from me. It's just a bump up from the DVX100A, and look at that price! Woah! But it looks like a nice SD camera, though. I would love to see it transferred to 35mm....especially the PAL version.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #29
RED Code Chef

Looking at that canon1 picture it looks like the viewfinder can
be flipped up to reveal a "flipout" LCD screen. See how the
back of the viewfinder is more bulky and there appears to be
some form of a hinge on top of it. I don't see any other place
where the LCD screen could "flipout"

Old July 13th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Just to add something that's missing from the specs here, the japanese site indicates the size of the CCD as being 1/3".

Effective pixel usage is 350,000 in 4:3 mode and 460,000 in 16:9.

The "true" 16:9 is probably just an enhanced 16:9 like on most other camcorders.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders