DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   It's official: Canon XL2 announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28840-its-official-canon-xl2-announced.html)

Rob Moreno July 13th, 2004 07:26 AM

The viewfinder does flip open to reveal the LCD. Take a look at the Flash demonstrations on the Canon USA website.

Greg Boston July 13th, 2004 07:57 AM

No HDV yet. However, what do you want to bet that the GL2 replacement next year will have the HDV standard implemented as more and more consumers want it to match with their HD televisions.

Time to start a new rumor since all of our old ones are now obsolete (grin).

Here piggy, piggy bank...now where did I put that hammer.

Peter Wiley July 13th, 2004 08:08 AM

Info Posted to Canon USA Web site

Information on the XL2 now posted to Canon USA Web site -- complete with flash intro.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10350

Luis Caffesse July 13th, 2004 08:10 AM

Well, I'm glad to see that there is finally a DV camera will all the functions most of us have always wanted:

True 16x9
24p
XLR inputs

That alone automatically puts it at the front of the pack.

But, and not trying to bash on Canon here, what is the deal with
a "flip up" viewfinder to "reveal" an LCD screen?

Why not just say there is NO LCD screen on the camera.

That isn't exactly groundbreaking...or even a new feature.

Before Flip out screens, before DV even that's how we used to shoot with the old Panasonic SVHS 455s. Just flip the viewfinder open and look at the tiny little screen inside.

I did the same with my 8mm and Hi8 cameras.

That is the only feature that sort of seems like a joke to me.
But the rest looks incredible.

-luis

Eric Watson July 13th, 2004 08:13 AM

Next Year ??

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : No HDV yet. However, what do you want to bet that the GL2 replacement next year will have the HDV standard implemented as more and more consumers want it to match with their HD televisions. >>>

The new XL2 looks very, very interesting for mini DV. The specs appear to be quite an improvement over it's predecessor. Unfortunately, at this moment I can't muster myself to say "wow" and really mean it.

I guess I shouldn't have expected HD or HDV. The wiser ones on this forum warned that Canon most likely wouldn't be releasing such a beast at this time. I know that Canon is moving in what they believe is the right direction for them.

It's not that I won't be supporting or purchasing this little gem, but reluctantly, I'll have to go back and reconsider the expensive Panasonic Varicam HD lineup for true HD production.

My comments are not meant as a downer on a fabulous and historical release date for XL* fans, but only to reflect that HD is here to stay. A neutral sigh commeth from our production staff that Canon won't be serving HD or HDV on it's menu this time around.

Greg Matty July 13th, 2004 08:15 AM

Can someone clarify which lens the XL-2 will come with? Will it be the current 16x or the new 20x?

I may upgrade my DVX but only if this lens performs better than the 16x in my XL-1. That lens always hunted for focus when I was in AF mode. Also, my XL-1 sucked at white balance. My DVX-100 is flawless. If whatever lens it comes with works fine and the camera will correctly white balance, I'll buy one.

Greg

Richard Alvarez July 13th, 2004 08:24 AM

So, as I understand it, in order to keep the lenses backwards compatible, the chips had to stay the same "size" and ratio. The increase in pixels was necessary to give a "true" 16x9 while masking the top and bottom of the pixels?

Greg Boston July 13th, 2004 08:33 AM

Greg,

The new camera comes with the 20X lense. Also, you'll be able to buy a 'no lense' version for about 2 grand less. And, the 20x lense will be sold separately for the XL1 masses who want it.

Very, very good marketing design by Canon. They even retained the 'look' of the XL1/1s because they know that look has turned a lot of heads over the past 6 years.

Looks like the 'photo' button is now MIA...aw darn it. Like I ever used that function...not!

Peter Moore July 13th, 2004 08:34 AM

Everything but HD. Well I guess we can't have it all.

But other than interchangeable lenses and 16x9 CCD (nothing to sneeze at, granted), is this thing any more special than the DVX100A??

Rob Lohman July 13th, 2004 08:36 AM

Peter: read the website's pages and find out. There is a lot more
to it then what you think from a first glance.

Heath McKnight July 13th, 2004 08:41 AM

Canon and the rest will likely unveil their HDV, non-vaporware cameras next year, I'll bet.

The XL-2 is cool and all, but as an HDV user, I'm spoiled.

heath

Josh Brusin July 13th, 2004 08:48 AM

I apprehensively was looking forward to possibly HDV at least something switchable as the compressed format still seems odd, and not too many people are asking me for HDV=== by the time canon updates to HDV they will. Although it seems completely and utterly consumer so far - from a marketing aspect to an engineering one.

Scott Balkum July 13th, 2004 08:59 AM

Let's not forget, there are no 1/3" 3-ccd HDV cameras out there. Sony says they will have one, but they don't have one yet. Sony will announce in the future, Canon stays secret. My guess is, Canon's HDV camera will be a camera in a new line when 3-ccd 1/3" camera can be produced.

Chris Hurd July 13th, 2004 09:03 AM

See my take on the HDV thing on this page.

Heath McKnight July 13th, 2004 09:19 AM

Very nice, Chris.

heath