DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   20x zoom lens -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28866-20x-zoom-lens-various-topics.html)

Ron German July 10th, 2005 07:55 AM

Thank you Jay and Ash
As I said, the camera`s owner was not familiar with it.
But Is there a need to do a back focus adjustment or hearing the click sound when fitting the zoom is enough?
Ron

Ash Greyson July 10th, 2005 01:39 PM

On the auto lens there is no back-focus available to the user, it must be done at the factory. Have you tried it a couple times? I have noticed it happen on my XL1s from time to time but it always seems to correct itself with a re-mount.

ash =o)

Ron German July 10th, 2005 06:38 PM

No Ash
I had the camera on my hands for few minutes and when I found this big lens problem (after zooming in and out many times) I gave up testing the camera.
Ron

Mo Zee July 12th, 2005 03:59 AM

20x lens ND in between OK?

i noticed that i can gradually turn the ND filter so that i can get in between settings from no ND to N32. i did not, however shoot with these in-between settings because they might have had bad effects. Are there any bad effects? Image wise? would it damage the lens when kept in an in between position?

thanks

Marty Hudzik July 12th, 2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Zee
i noticed that i can gradually turn the ND filter so that i can get in between settings from no ND to N32. i did not, however shoot with these in-between settings because they might have had bad effects. Are there any bad effects? Image wise? would it damage the lens when kept in an in between position?

thanks

I tried it once and got some weird effects. I would not recommend it. Part of the image was blurry and part wasn't. Something just looked weird. I can't imagine it would hurt anything but it could ruin a shot since it is possible that part of the frame is covered by one ND filter and the other part covered by another. I doubt it is a subtle gradient transition between these 2 degrees.

Mo Zee July 12th, 2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
I tried it once and got some weird effects. I would not recommend it. Part of the image was blurry and part wasn't. Something just looked weird. I can't imagine it would hurt anything but it could ruin a shot since it is possible that part of the frame is covered by one ND filter and the other part covered by another. I doubt it is a subtle gradient transition between these 2 degrees.

i would suspect something like this. could you link to a vidcap? i'll try to do some testing if i can because if it works, then it's a great thing to use

Kalil Jalili August 10th, 2005 11:00 AM

20x lens! B+W or HOYA Cir-Pol?

Hi everyone,

Which of these cir-polarizing work better on the 20x

B+W or Hoya.

I need it for sunny days and shooting the clouds.

Thank you

Stephanie Wilson August 10th, 2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalil Jalili
Hi everyone,

Which of these cir-polarizing work better on the 20x

B+W or Hoya.

I need it for sunny days and shooting the clouds.

Thank you

Hi,

I started out looking at the Hoya but I found a used B+W so I bought it.
The lens guy that I purchased it from said that Hoya and B+W are on par with each other = excellent.

Steph

Ash Greyson August 10th, 2005 04:05 PM

Either will work just fine...

ash =o)

Eugene Kim October 25th, 2005 04:00 PM

canon dust cap for 20x lens and body?

Anyone know where I can purchase extra dust caps for the 20x lens and camera body when you take off the lens for transport?

I can't find this part anywhere. Can only find the 72mm cap that goes up front.

Thanks.

Greg Boston October 25th, 2005 06:04 PM

You may have to actually call Canon to get the parts. They have many parts available through phone sales that aren't listed online anywhere. Case in point, I just bought a replacement lens hood and zoom lever pin for the 16x manual lens.

I believe it's 1-800-OKCANON. Follow the wonderful menu trail from there. They are very helpful once you get to talk to someone.

-gb-

Frederic Segard November 13th, 2005 07:18 PM

XL2 with H1 20x lens?

I know it's probably too soon to tell, but would there be any advantage whatsoever to use the H1 HD lens on an XL2?

A. J. deLange November 15th, 2005 10:55 AM

Definitely yes because it has to be a better lens to support the higher resolution of the new chip set. What is not so definite is that it will be appreciably or even noticeably better.

Peter Sheppard November 18th, 2005 02:12 PM

20X lens

Received my XL2 last week and same night went out to shoot traffic scenes for part of a TV spot. This was the first time I used the camera and the new Florite 20x Lens.(Ive used Xl1 and 1s for years.) I was surprised by the tiny floating lights when shooting into approaching cars. Every headlight it seems produced several "floters" that were very annoying, and distracting. I have not seen this before with the 16x lens on the XL1s....is this a new feature ??? I took off the tiffen UV filter, but it made no difference....any comments would be welcome.

Chris Hurd November 18th, 2005 02:50 PM

This artifact could be caused by image stabilisation. Turn OIS off and see if there's a difference.