20x zoom lens -- various topics - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #76
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : I don't see any reason why you could not have both the 1.6x extender plus the Century teleconverter both on at the same time.

Greg, have you seen this? http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images17.php -->>>

sweet :) I was thinking about picking up a 400mm lens. Never have seen one of those beasts in that article.

My beef with still photography is no matter how big a lens you use you still can't really zoom in from far away but with the XL2 and using the same lenses you can see some amazing details.

Is there any other video camera that can use Canon lenses?
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #77
New Boot

XL2, 600mm, 2x

For whatever it's worth.....

http://www.surfshooterhawaii.com/clipstream/moon1.html

Aloha,

Terry Reis
Surf Shooter Hawaii
Waikele, Hawaii
http://www.surfshooterhawaii.com
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #78
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : <<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : I don't see any reason why you could not have both the 1.6x extender plus the Century teleconverter both on at the same time.

Greg, have you seen this? http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images17.php -->>>

sweet :) I was thinking about picking up a 400mm lens. Never have seen one of those beasts in that article.

My beef with still photography is no matter how big a lens you use you still can't really zoom in from far away but with the XL2 and using the same lenses you can see some amazing details.

Is there any other video camera that can use Canon lenses? -->>>

kewl!
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:44 AM   #79

new 20X problem

Recently got my new XL2 and when I turn the camera on the lens makes two loud clicking sounds that sound more like pops. Does everybody's 20X lens do this. I thought it was a problem with the image stabilizer, but it seems to work a little bit. Otherwise, great camera, beautiful picture. Glad I founf this messageboard. It has answered a lot of questions. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:40 AM   #80
Major Player

i've had that problem as well, you can see an element sorta jiggle in the lense when it happens, right at start up, after that no problems
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:18 AM   #81
Regular Crew

I never had that sort of sound. I find the VCR gives off a low clicking noise every 10 seconds for the first 15 minutes of operation but after that is dead silent. My lens is relatively quiet during startup.
Geoffrey Engelbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:38 AM   #82
Trustee

Nope, so far I haven't noticed such a sound Scott.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM   #83
New Boot

Yep, I hear 2 loud clicks right when the camera is turned on. Don't know if it's the image stabilizer or not because it still happens when the image stabilizer is off and the camera is powered up. I just assumed it was normal, hope is not a problem.

Ben
Ben Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:16 AM   #84
New Boot

No clicks thus far.

Christian
Christian Asnieres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Mine did click, then the zoom would stutter violently. Send it back to B&H for a new one. The newer on does click at start up but all is fine.
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Hello Folks...I believe this is a normal response for the 20X lens. Upon turning on the lens, there will be an imgae shift adjust which is quite normal. Do not worry about this. I spoke with Canon rep as well and he confirmed this to be the case. My 20X does the same. Nothing to worry about.
Ed Bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM   #87
Major Player

"image shift adjust"

What's that? What's shifting and why?
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:29 AM   #88
Regular Crew

My guess would be that that is the stabalization mechanism inside the camera, and when it starts up it just has to calibrate or something.

From everyone I have talked to, the shaking is normal, but I cannot defend the clicking noise.

Make sure when you turn that bad boy on, the lens cap should be removed first. Also, make sure that the lens is locked into place. Otherwise, contact your retailer.

-Lon
Lon Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:26 AM   #89
Major Player

it's a pretty unnerving click, VERY noticeable almost, i shutter to say, like a plastic gear slipping.

i once rented a panasonic 24p where the focus element was completely loose, you could tilt the camera up and down and try to balance it into focus, obviously it was returned, i'd hate to think it would be something like that
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #90
Major Player

20x Startup Clicks Cause Found???

Maybe my experience this past weekend can shed some light on this "clicking" phenomenon. My XL2 did not have the clicking noises on start up when I first got it. Went shooting this past Sunday and noticed a random out of focus black fuzz moving in the viewfinder. Clean out the view finder and lens filter. 20 minutes later and it was back. So I think there is a bug between my filter and the lens. Upon closer inspection, there was a bug inside of the actual 20x lens!!! How he got in there I don't know, but man he I was pissed to say the least. When I put the lens cap on for a few minutes and then take it off, he would not be visible. My guess is without light coming through the lens, he can see the light coming in from wherever he entered and was trying to exit. Anyhow, I shoot through the evening and the next day, no sign of him. So either he got out or died. But around mid day, when coming out of standby, I hear the 2 clicks and immediately remembered this posting. Coincidence, I don't think so. So maybe he gummed up something which is causing the noise. Operationally everything seems fine, but I will be sending it in to Canon the first chance I get.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders