20x zoom lens -- various topics - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #121
Major Player

Patrick,

You have to do the rebate when you purchase the whole standard kit, so you have to buy the body of the cam with the 20X lens and the rebate lens are on top of that. Yes, you would have to purchase it from the same vendor, otherwise you wouldn't get the rebate.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
Patrick,

You have to do the rebate when you purchase the whole standard kit, so you have to buy the body of the cam with the 20X lens and the rebate lens are on top of that. Yes, you would have to purchase it from the same vendor, otherwise you wouldn't get the rebate.

Lucinda
Lucinda, Why do you say you would have to purchase it from the same vendor, otherwise you wouldn't get the rebate? Did someone tell you this? It certainly isn't in the text of the rebate form. Are you guessing or speculating?

The rebate form text indicates that multiple vendors are acceptable because it adds an "s" in parenthesis after the words "receipt", "Dealer", "store name", and "purchase date". This would indicate that multiple "receipts", "Dealers", "store names", and "purchase dates" would be acceptable. Read for yourself:

This request form must be accompanied by the ORIGINAL UPC codes and ORIGINAL serial numbers cut from
product boxes, and a COPY of the sales receipt(s) from Authorized Canon U.S.A. Digital Video Dealer(s) with store name(s) and purchase date(s), digital video model and Canon Lens model, and prices paid, clearly legible to be valid.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #123
Major Player

Well I guess you could use the rebate from another vendor. Why not ask the vendors? I think that would be the safest thing, since I just assumed the rebate would only apply at the point of purchase. Better to be safe than sorry.

Lucinda
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #124
Major Player

Quote:
Well I guess you could use the rebate from another vendor. Why not ask the vendors? I think that would be the safest thing, since I just assumed the rebate would only apply at the point of purchase. Better to be safe than sorry.

Lucinda
Actually the rebate form is available directly from Canon at XL2 Rebate Form.

The only vendor requirement is that they be an Authorized Canon Dealer, and that they provide a legible receipt with the required info on it to satisfy the rebate stipulations.

So...rather than speculation and assumptions, I was hoping to hear from someone who tried to purchase from two different vendors or did buy from different vendors and applied for the rebate.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #125
Trustee

Quote:
If I focus on the subject and shoot, will the focus change? or stay?
The focus should stay (even while zooming). But if you mark the focus ring position, change focus and then return to the marked position, the focus point will most likely have shifted. This is because the focus is not just related to the position of the focus ring, but also to the speed at which the ring is turned.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #126
Major Player

Dang! They're givin' out rebates? I want me one!

Richard pretty much hit it. Focus drift, meaning that if you set the mark, the electro focus on the 20x, in my experience, will drift away from the focus mark that you have set.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #127
Major Player

Thanks Richard and Mark....that makes sense. It seems like a nice all around lens tho'. Yes, the rebate is tempting. It's for both the 3x wide angle and the 16x servo lens.
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #128
Major Player

20X Stock zoom lens quality

Hi
Even with Panasonic next hit HVX 200 coming, I`m considering the purchase of the XL2.
Main use will be for indie feature films, tv commercials, musical video clips and documentaries.
I`m aware of some operacional problems regarding the 20X Stock zoom lens, but would like to know about its optical qualities:
Does It keep the contrast, color saturation and resolution along all the focal distances of the zoom?
Is there any issue with the focus along the zoom (collimation problem)?
Thank you

Ronger
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #129
Trustee

It is an EXCELLENT lens. It looks amazing for close-ups and great in general. The only issue, as with almost all pro-sumer cams, is that it may not go wide enough for some shots. I highly recommend a Century OPtics adapter or the 3X Canon Wide.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #130
Major Player

Thank you Ash
Anyone else?
rON
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:58 AM   #131
Trustee

The Canon 3x is a must have.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:23 PM   #132
Major Player

The 20x is tack sharp, but you may want to consider getting the 16x manual lens for what you are shooting.

Both lenses are excellent and I own both, but I find that I use the 16x almost all of the time.
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM   #133
Major Player

Thank you
But no opinion on each characteristic of the 20X zoom lens?
Best
Ron
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM   #134
Major Player

The clairty and reach of the 20x is superb. The manual focus is a little tricky to get the hang of, but the zoom is as fast as you need it or as slow a syou need it, and the oppertunity to selet a focus mark, rack focus, and then, with the push of a button, snap back to your original focus point is a huge advantage.

the 16x has amazing rack focus (although there is noticible lens breathing), and the glass quality seems slightly higher producing a slightly softer, more cinematic image. Granted, the camer ais so good anyway that the 20X lens looks amazing.

I have the 20X over the 16x simply because it's cheaper, longer reach, slightly shallower DOF and pre-programmed snap focus. If money werent an object, I would own both, but it's a better ivnestment to get the cam with it's prime lens and add a 16 later. The 20x will have a lot of resale value.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 03:11 PM   #135
Trustee

I own both but I mainly do handhels and use th 20X most the time. 16X is great for setting up shots, not so much capturing a moment IMHO. It does take some skill to master the 20X because the manual controls are DIGITAL...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders