Batteries for XL2 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 29th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #136
Go Cycle

I come from the video world of very heavy cameras. I find my new XL-2 is front heavy. I purchased the ANTON BAUER plate and saved money by buying the new SWITRONIX 130W battery. I can power my Sachtler light and camera for hours on end now and have a proper balance of the camera.
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #137
Major Player

I really don't mean to be combative when I say this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend $1000 on a battery system if your main reason for buying it is to balance the camera. If that's all you want, then mount a salvaged construction brick on the shoulder rest for free. It may not be as pretty, but your video will look the same either way, and that seems like the important thing to me.

While so many people seem to be very happy with the Anton Bauer setup, I just can't see why it's a justifiable expense. Generic BP-945's are dirt cheap and plentiful. Yes, it's easy to migrate your AB setup to another camera later. But it's also just as easy to buy Anton Bauers when you actually do get a new camera and stick to the $20 batts while they still work. You're only going to end up spending maybe $40 or $60 that way, and you can put off the expensive purchase of schmancy batteries until you really need them--and quite possibly, you never will.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm not trying to argue with those who've bought the AB's and are happy with them. If you're happy, then that's what matters. I'm just reiterating my opinion here for the possible benefit of those who are currently making this decision. That opinion being, in summary, that you'll be more than fine with $20 knock-offs. You'll need to change batteries more often, but you'll also save a boatload of money that can be spent on more essential things.
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #138
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
I really don't mean to be combative when I say this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend $1000 on a battery system if your main reason for buying it is to balance the camera. If that's all you want, then mount a salvaged construction brick on the shoulder rest for free. It may not be as pretty, but your video will look the same either way, and that seems like the important thing to me.

While so many people seem to be very happy with the Anton Bauer setup, I just can't see why it's a justifiable expense. Generic BP-945's are dirt cheap and plentiful. Yes, it's easy to migrate your AB setup to another camera later. But it's also just as easy to buy Anton Bauers when you actually do get a new camera and stick to the $20 batts while they still work. You're only going to end up spending maybe $40 or $60 that way, and you can put off the expensive purchase of schmancy batteries until you really need them--and quite possibly, you never will.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm not trying to argue with those who've bought the AB's and are happy with them. If you're happy, then that's what matters. I'm just reiterating my opinion here for the possible benefit of those who are currently making this decision. That opinion being, in summary, that you'll be more than fine with $20 knock-offs. You'll need to change batteries more often, but you'll also save a boatload of money that can be spent on more essential things.
Duly noted. And for the record, I didn't buy a 'brand new' AB system for my XL2. I saved a boatload of money by using our classifieds and buying from a fellow DVINFO member. A win-win situation IMO.

If you don't need them, fine. It all depends on the type of work you do with your camera. But I factored 'camera balance' in my decision as just one of the benefits of the AB system. Interoperability and compatibllity with other equipment was another factor. Migration was yet another factor. Integrity and reliability another factor.

It's good to have choices.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:38 PM   #139
New Boot

thx chris wow there some who really takes the extra time in life and i would say you get rewarded after a while thx alot nice article
Marc Gaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #140
Regular Crew

I bought three of these cheap clones and I'm lucky if I use two on a normal day's shooting...

http://www.cheap-camcorder-batteries...non-bp-945.htm
Old September 24th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #141
Inner Circle

I've worked with AB in the professional world of ENG, and I love 'em.

I own an Xl2 for my work, and made my decision to go with the 910 dual pack and cheap 945's for power for EXACTLY the reasons Jarrod outlined. At the time, I couldn't afford to buy into an AB system, and didn't see myself needing it for a while. (Still don't. When I freelance for TV stations, they supply the gear.)

I have one 930 (That's what came with the camera, right?) and four 945's. I've shot all day, and not run out of power. The great thing about the 910 is that it charges two batteries. So overnite, I set two batts on it, one in the charger that shipped with the cam, and I'm good to go. And yes, the weight of the 910 and the dual 945's is great balance. I also use the FU-1000 viewfinder, but I use the manual 16x lens.

Like the man said, choice is good.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #142
New Boot

Dual Battery Charger

I am a new XL2 owner and have a question about the CH-910 Dual Battery Charger...do I understand it right that this charger holds 2 BP-930 batteries and will mount to the bracket that was supplied with the camera? The bracket mounts on the back part of the XL2.

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #143
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Richard, yes that's correct, and it holds any two BP-9xx batteries in any combination. You could have two BP-945's, one 945 and one 930, etc.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:44 AM   #144
New Boot

Dual Battery Charger

Thanks Chris, I thought so...but wanted to make sure.

Happy Holidays!

Richard
Richard Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #145
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Day
the CH-910 Dual Battery Charger...do I understand it right that this charger holds 2 BP-930 batteries and will mount to the bracket that was supplied with the camera? The bracket mounts on the back part of the XL2.
Yes
The CH-910 holds two battery packs and can charge them one after the other. Once the batteries are charged, the CH-910, with batteries in place, can be simply attached to the bracket(which is mounted to the back of the XL2) and then connected directly to your XL2. This will give you twice the recording time of just one battery. It can be used with any combination of Canon BP-900 series Lithium-Ion batteries.

Keep in mind, it makes the Camera a little heavy, but you will get use to the weight. The extra weight at the back will help balance the weight of the camera. With the 20X lens attached, the frontend of the xl2 is the heaviest part of the camcorder. The extra weight at the back will be a counter-balance.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM   #146
Regular Crew

Does anyone have a picture of the dual battery on their camera?
Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #147
Regular Crew

V-lock type batteries

I recently worked on a gig using the XL-H1 and this camera had a v-lock type battery on the back and despite making the camera heavier, it made the long shoot easier as it was balanced better on my shoulder.

I'm now looking into getting such a battery for my XL2, does anybody have any suggestions of good buys for such an item

Cheers in advance

Owen
Owen Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM   #148
Regular Crew

Nobody know of anything then?
Owen Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #149
Regular Crew

Hi Owen

I use IDX v-locks on my Sony kit (DSR-450 etc.). They do 2 versions, the more expensive allow batteries to be piggy-backed for longer duration. Take a look at http://www.idxtek.com/

Alternatively, Hawk-Woods are a UK company taht are cheaper and make lots of bits - power taps etc for v-locks. See them at http://www.hawkwoods.com/

Hope this helps

Graham
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #150
Regular Crew

brick?

Thanks Graham.

I've looked at the IDX systems before and they seem to suite my requirements the most. Bit pricey for me at the moment but I guess it'll go on the wishlist with a whole host of other things.

I guess I could just strap a brick to the back with some gaff in the meantime

Thanks again,

Owen
Owen Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders