Batteries for XL2 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #196
Inner Circle

Really .. not saying you're mistaken but that's first time I've heard that one.

The battery keeps charging the cams internal lithium battery while the cam is switched off. You have to take it off to recharge it of course, but if you remove the battery and leave it off long enough, (a month I think) the internal battery goes flat and you lose all the cams custom settings.
Cheers.
Old September 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #197
Wrangler

I suspect it may be a precaution related to long term storage. It may be that there is no "automatic low voltage shut off" when the camcorder is off, and it might be possible to end up with "reverse charge" on a weak cell in the battery, not good, over time.

If you are talking about a few days, probably not an issue, but if yoare talkign about months it is likely another stroy.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #198
Tourist

Batteries failure?

Hi everybody, can anyone help me please?

I have an XL2 with 3 batteries.
When I connect 2 of them to the camera, the camera doesn't power up.
Using another battery, the camera works so I guess it's the batteries at fault.

When I put those batteries on the standard CA-920 charger, the light flashes a couple of times and then remains lit but batteries doesn't charge.
With the third battery no problem.

Those 2 batteries (original BP-930 and BP-945) work until one week ago, the only thing I did was a test with a digital tester to measure the Amps.

Any suggestion to make them work again?

Thanks for any reply.
Ciao
Roberto
Roberto Conte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #199
Inner Circle

Hi, Roberto...........

Hmm, think you may have "terminated with extreme prejudice" I'm afraid.

Those batteries have an intelligent chip on board which measure all sorts of things (which is where so many "knock off" batteries come unstuck).

One of those would be current drawn, and a test with a meter may have taken them so far into the red zone they shut down to prevent what (they believed) may have been a catastrophic camera melt down otherwise.

If that is so, and I can't think of any other explanation, they're stuffed, quite frankly.

Sorry.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM   #200
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Hmm, think you may have "terminated with extreme prejudice" ... a test with a meter may have taken them so far into the red zone ... they're stuffed, quite frankly
Hi Chris, thanks a lot for explanation.
I supposed I did a mistake, but I hope there was way to fix them...
Do you know if Canon service could fix or repair them?

Bye and greetings from Italy
Ciao
Roberto
Roberto Conte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders