DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28915-batteries-xl2.html)

A. J. deLange October 21st, 2004 11:29 AM

You've probably thought of this already but what happens if you put the other (second) battery on the camera by itself? Even though it may be of the same age as the other it is entirely possible that it is in much better shape the its partner. Certainly a new 930 should allow you to pull a whole tape if you are a little judicious about going into power saving mode between shots.

A.J.

Lauri Kettunen October 21st, 2004 12:43 PM

A.J., no, none of the old batteries run alone more than 15 minutes.

A. J. deLange October 21st, 2004 12:53 PM

O.K. Add me to the ranks of the mystified. Perhaps as the battery ages its internal impedance rises to the point where it IS significant?

A.J.

Salazar Cragmore October 22nd, 2004 11:27 AM

Alex:

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations on a converter? Have you seen this done before?

Is there an adapter that can go from the NP1 to the plug in battery adapter for the XL2?

Sal

Alex Dolgin October 22nd, 2004 11:34 AM

We make the 7.2 v DC converters, check out http://dolgin.net/DCConverter.htm
The NP1 cable is available from Frezzi http://frezzi.com/trick;e.htm
part 9679.
HTH
Alex

Chris Day November 11th, 2004 12:56 AM

Battery Bracket for rear of XL2

I am shooting a wedding this coming weekend and I want to run two wireless mic recievers on my XL2 (Sennheiser G2s). I will record in 12 bit. 1 mic I can attach to the Accessory Shoe and the XLR cable in the rear left channel. The other I want to attach to the rear battery bracket where the three screw holes are and the cable into the rear right. I took the screws from my MA200 and attempted to attach the reciever using the screws but the gap for the base of the reciever is to narrow as it hits the bracket. I do not want to tape it on as I want it to fit securely to the rear bracket. Anyone had any success with this?? or have any ideas??

Thanks

Chris Day
Perth, Western Australia

Bruce S. Yarock November 11th, 2004 04:04 AM

I used the belt clip from the g2 on the battery adaptor bracket, and it seemed ok.You remove the shoe adaptor, and snap in the belt clip.
Bruce Yarock

Kevin Gilvear November 11th, 2004 04:24 PM

Charging batteries overseas

Does anyone know if you can get voltage adaptors to charge canon batteries overseas? I have a pal XL2 and will need to charge the battery in Japan, so I need a plug that will fit my batttery charger and convert the voltage accordingly.
thanks in advance.

Kevin Gilvear November 11th, 2004 05:12 PM

OK I decided not to delete this as I'm having difficulties.

When it comes to charging batteries do I need to be concerned about frequency? I will be staying in the Kansai region (Kyoto, Osaka) which uses 60hz. So in addition to buying a transformer do I need a frequency converter also?

David Lach November 11th, 2004 05:42 PM

Usually transformers will convert the voltage from 220V to 110V and 50Hz to 60Hz or vice versa, as well as prrovide all the different plug adapters you'll need, wherever you're travelling. Check out the different travelling voltage converters, it is usually stated on the box. They are designed to handle whatever electrical system you throw at them.

A. J. deLange November 11th, 2004 07:10 PM

The charger supplied in the US, the CA-920 is ¨universal" i.e. 100~240VAC 50/60 Hz. I expect the PAL units come with the same charger but a different cord with the appropriate plug for the country in which it is sold. If I'm right then all you need is the appropriate adapter. Japan is 60Hz and if I remember correctly the plugs are the same as the US.

Kevin Gilvear November 12th, 2004 02:25 AM

Only half of Japan is 60hz (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya), that being the western half. Eastern part is 50hz (Tokyo etc)

But it seems this doesn't really matter with chargers, which is neat.

Oliver Power November 12th, 2004 04:51 PM

Anton Bauer used Proformer batteries okay for XL2?

On the Anton Bauer website, it doesn't specifically recommend the ProPac batteries for the XL1. Obviously the ProPacs are different but I believe they are pretty similar to the ProFormer. The ProFormers lack a battery runtime bar I believe, but could there be any other reason they would not work with the XL1?

thanks,

Oliver

Chris Hurd November 12th, 2004 08:59 PM

Good question. I thought we had a member here who is a representative for AB. I'll see if I can dig up his contact info and ask him to reply.

Darren Kelly November 12th, 2004 09:34 PM

I'm using the IDX system, which fits in a similar adapter as the AB batteries.

I have lots of power, and there is even a tap to power a light or a teleprompter or even an on camera monitor

DBK