Left Eye vs Right Eye? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 14th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Left Eye vs Right Eye?

Am I reading the specs clearly... Can you switch the view-finder to be on the right side of the camera for those who are left-eye dominant?

Thanks!
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Say What?

Possibly you meant to word that differently? If you wanted to use your left eye for the viewfinder, it would seem that it should move to the left, rather than be on the right side of the camera. Or were you thinking of putting it on your left shoulder? There have been a few camcorder models that had controls that allowed for leftside shooting, but I don't know how you'd do that with the XL2. I once saw an old Panasonic semipro S-VHS, that was an alternate leftside version, with everything on reverse sides.

If left shoulder shooting is not what you had in mind, I don't know how flexible or adjustable the viewfinder base on the XL2 is, but perhaps it will angle over far enough to the left to use with the left eye. On a tripod, it would be easy to use either eye. Many pro viewfinders I've used, were mounted on a slide that allowed them to move far enough over for the left eye.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #3
Trustee

That is how things works on the XL1. The viewfinder can slide some inches from right to left to alow the use of any eyes while the camera remain on the right shoulder. The XL2 viewfinder will most likelly retain this design.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Jean-Phillippe

I always knew you could slide the viewfinder on the xl1, but the problem has always been the damn eyecup...I just went and fiddled with it for a while and I realized it comes off and reverses too. I thank you...My left eye thanks you.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Barry,

Since I am a relatively new user of the XL1, I am glad to have helped you to find this, you who uses it since a while! :)
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

The XL2 has the same function in this regard. It allows sliding
of the viewfinder assembly left and right. It will not transform
into a left-shoulder shooting apparatus.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

apparatus, I love that word. Anyway, if the viewfinder were on the right side of the camera, you would have to be some kind of mutant to be able to control the grip zoom rocker. Or have your left arm on the top handle zoom rocker. I cant imagine the extra pain you would acquire from operating the apparatus that way. It hurts my arm enough as it is using my XL1s the intended way. (I'm still not used to the burly weight of a professional camera, my wimpy JVC DVL915 weighed about a half a pound!)
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : It will not transform
into a left-shoulder shooting apparatus. -->>>

It will however transform into a 75' tall robot with heat seeking missiles, a photon blaster, and a jetpack.

Beware, the XL2 in robot mode!
http://www.pimbrecords.com/mfo/jetfire/boxartfull.jpg
Old August 9th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

So that's what that button is for. Cool!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm going to rule the world with my new XL2...domo arigato Mr. Roboto. But seriously, I just picked up Extreme DV at used car prices. In the preface on page xli there is a picture of a guy holding a left shouldered XL1. I was thinking the image might be mirrored for no good reason at all. Anyway, if someone has picked up this book as well, let me know if my eyes speak the truth, or if they have betrayed me. (It is hard to distinguish, but I do believe 'Canon' on the viewfinder is reversed.)
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders