DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   after they work out the possible bugs will there be xl2s (like xl1 to xl1s)? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28998-after-they-work-out-possible-bugs-will-there-xl2s-like-xl1-xl1s.html)

Yi Fong Yu July 14th, 2004 10:21 PM

after they work out the possible bugs will there be xl2s (like xl1 to xl1s)?

i'm kinda thinking about that... i know Chris has posted a quote saying, this is the last SD cam but... if xl2 is a bit wee buggy then perhaps there'll be a xl2s? but maybe not cause xl1s is the bugfix/improvement of xl1 and xl2 is really just xl1, xl1s to the nth degree... so maybe this is TRULY the last prosumer SD cam from Canon after all.

Nathan Gifford July 15th, 2004 04:55 AM

If you read between the lines Canon has added more flexibility in this design than they had with the 1 or S models. I also suggest you read Chris' opinion piece on Canon design philosophy surrounding the XL2 and devices in general.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 05:14 PM

The XL1S was not a bug fix. It was a complete re-design of the camera's electronic guts, and a greatly expanded menu system.

Bill Pryor July 15th, 2004 07:31 PM

You gotta love this--the thing isn't even on the market yet and here we are talking about an upgrade.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 10:38 PM

A sign of the times, Bill. We have surpassed the "instant gratification" trend and are now heading into the "pre-gratification" era.

Yi Fong Yu July 16th, 2004 12:03 AM

oh don't worry fellas... i'm just thinking out loud =). i mean.. XL3, XL4, Xl5, Xl20? it goes on.

i wonder what canon's HD version will be... possibly XL3? who knows. just considering all the possibilities...

David Ziegelheim July 17th, 2004 09:39 PM

I think the 'next release' is because of the 'missing' features. 8-bit processing. Small effective CCD.

When Panasonic introduced the DVX100 with half its programming missing, the same speculation occured. In about 12 months from general availabilty, a new version was announced (Nov 17th, and told to distributors months earlier).

My guess is we will see the XL2S by next spring. The XL2 was probably rushed out because of market pressure.

Ken Tanaka July 17th, 2004 09:54 PM

"Incredible" is the only word that comes to my mind reading this thread.

Joe Carney July 18th, 2004 10:29 AM

funny, many who I've told about the new xl2 have mentioned the same thing. They all wondered if they should wait for the version with all the bugs fixed. You'd of thought they were buying a Chevy instead of a Canon.

Jim Giberti July 18th, 2004 12:08 PM

<<"Incredible" is the only word that comes to my mind reading this thread.>>

Exactly what I was thinking Ken. Here's a thought...get a camera, makes some movies, make some money...be here now.

Don Berube July 18th, 2004 12:59 PM

My thoughts exactly Jim and Ken. So many people sit there and say to themselves "Someday, there will be a camera that will allow me to make MY film, tell MY story"... They don't seem to realize that it is the person behind the camera that is inhibiting them from achieving the images they see in their head, not the camera. The fact is that the tools they need(ed) were available to them in some form or fashion all along.

- don

Chris Hurd July 18th, 2004 01:59 PM

<< The XL2 was probably rushed out because of market pressure >>

Two years is rushed out? Bursts of laughter are always fun, but now I have to wipe all this coffee off my monitor screen.

David Ziegelheim July 18th, 2004 03:00 PM

No, the question is, is their a camera where the convience of owning exceeds the expected obsolesnce of a camera which has half the features missing.

Which really makes a better 16:9: the DVX100 with anamorphic adapter or the XL2 with Century or Optex adapter? Or would you wait for an XL2S or DVX100B with both 16:9 CCDs and complete 12-bit or higher electronics, and rent in the meantime?

Making a movie, what percentage of the time do you spend in production?

Chris Hurd July 18th, 2004 04:02 PM

I'm sorry but that's not right. Obsolesence is immaterial. It's just like owning a car; if you must have the latest and greatest then you sell the old one and buy the new one. Or you keep it and continue to drive it even though it's six years old. It is strictly your own choice to make. The manufacturer has nothing to do with it.

The cameras discussed here -- XL, DVX -- should pay for themselves within the first few months of ownership. If it's not being used as a business tool, then it's strictly a luxury item. Either way, when a new model comes out it does not mean that yours stops working. Either you keep it and use it, or you transition out of it by selling. Nobody is "locked in" to a camera just because they've bought into it.

David Ziegelheim July 18th, 2004 04:40 PM

Cars are absolutely the same way (something I know a fair amount about). If you want a good car to keep and like for a while, or even just during a lease, you need to time your purchase when the model and features are right.

Getting an 'obsolete' car, or one who is a lackluster performer in its class is always a disappointing decision. Sometimes you wait a year until certain features are available, or a new model comes out.

Are you planning to buy an 6 year old design (such as the Lexus GS) months before a new and up todate version becomes available? Most buyers recognize the difference. Acura dealers can't give a way the '04 RL. The '05 is expected to be sold out all year. That GS is a laggard now, however Toyota expects the version to join the LS at the top of the heap. '04 MB SLK320s were a hard sell. '05 MB SLK350s are hard to get.

The same with camcorders. Yes, if you need a camcorder today, you need to pick among the available models. However, nearly everyone here already has a camcorder. The decision is whether this is a good time to upgrade.

These must have models are ones you can buy without reservation. Unfortunately, between 16:9, progressive scan, 12-bit electronics, and CCD size, no available camera has it all. Both the Panasonic and Canon are close. However, I for one, expected the Canon to be closer (larger effective chip, 12-bit electronics, better viewfinder).

And the XL2 is just a kinda competitive model when it 'coulda been a contender'. Even the champ. Maybe next year it will become one.