DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   a few questions that haven't been asked?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/29030-few-questions-havent-been-asked.html)

Guest July 15th, 2004 11:48 AM

a few questions that haven't been asked??

At least I couldn't find these by browsing the forum.

Does the Gain work in all of the modes? 60i, 30p and 24p?

Does the auto Focus work in all modes? 60i, 30p and 24p?

I read that the viewfinder doesn't show guides for 16x9 mode. Does that mean that the image will be stretched vertically in the viewfinder and on an external monitor? (non 16x9 monitor that is)

Is the iris control now more of a switch and less of a wheel? It looks like it is notched and couldn't spin infinitely but would be pushed up or down and the logic of the XL2 would open or close the iris based on this. Anyone?

Robert Mann Z. July 15th, 2004 01:08 PM

Does the Gain work in all of the modes? 60i, 30p and 24p?
yes

Does the auto Focus work in all modes? 60i, 30p and 24p?
yes

will be stretched vertically in the viewfinder and on an external monitor?
no stretch black bands, same goes for monitor

Is the iris control now more of a switch and less of a wheel?
yes and it works very well...

Barry Goyette July 15th, 2004 01:33 PM

looks like the same switch canon implemented on the gl2...It took awhile to get use to, but it works fine.

Barry

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 03:43 PM

16:9 is letterboxed in the EVF and external 4:3 monitors.

CORRECTION: 16:9 is letterboxed in the EVF only.

Bill Pryor July 15th, 2004 04:08 PM

Do you know if the viewfinder has underscan?

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 15th, 2004 04:34 PM

No, it doesn't have underscan. In fact, the picture area in the viewfinder matched what I was seeing on my domestic tv.
It would be nice to be able to see a little more of things happening in the edges...

Robin.

Rich Lee July 15th, 2004 04:41 PM

I'm curious if it has a peaking feature like the dvx, i have grown to love that feature.

Chris Hurd July 15th, 2004 05:06 PM

The monochrome CRT finder has a peaking control. The color LCD finder does not.

Don Berube July 15th, 2004 05:15 PM

Well, for what it is worth, there is a seperate EVF settings control in the XL2 menu which does include a Sharpness control for the new EVF.

- don

Robin Davies-Rollinson July 15th, 2004 05:21 PM

Yes, but it doesn't really make the edges "zing" to be enough of an asset for focussing...

Robin.

Aaron Koolen July 15th, 2004 06:23 PM

And now a silly, but very hopeful question. The EVF doesn't have underscan, but if you flip it up into the LCD does *that* do underscan? Just hoping.

Bill Pryor July 15th, 2004 06:28 PM

There's no way that flipping up the eyepiece would magically give underscan. It is either there or it isn't. That is unfortunate and reduces the value of the camera a bit in my book. It's not a tota deal killer, but it's a negative.

Aaron Koolen July 15th, 2004 06:37 PM

Bill, no I know that, but what I was getting at was, maybe the LCD was underscane, but the EVF edges covered some of this. As I said, I was being hopeful. I'm quite bummed that they've apparently used the GL2 irs control wheel. That thing is stupid - a rolling wheel would have been much better.

Aaron

Bill Pryor July 15th, 2004 07:28 PM

It doesn't have iris control on the lens?
Sheesh, my new camera euphoria is really starting to go away. Y'know, a camera is a helluvalot more than just its chips. A little thing like not having underscan in the viewfinder can be a very big thing on a complicated shoot. I've seen shots ruined because the cameraman did not have underscan and couldn't adjust minutely when the soundman dipped the boom just a hair too low....and when you're on a tight set and want to pan as far as you can but not get the damn lightstand or edge of the cyc in the shot, and you can see it coming in underscan.

Someday somebody will come out with a "handycam" style small camera with all the professional features you need to make movies. Seems to me that it wouldn't really cost anymore to do some things right. Not everything, obviously, but...for example, how come I get iris control on the lens where it belongs with a DSR250 but not with a PD150? How come they don't give me a color temperature readout on the 250 like the DSR500 has? The camera white balances perfectly, so it KNOWS what the damn color temperature is. With all the other crap they put in the viewfinder, it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to believe they could give me a color temperature readout just as easily as the little hand that tells me steadyshot is on.

Of course...if they put all the good stuff on the cheap cameras, lots of people would probably not want to spend the money on the better stuff.

Aaron Koolen July 15th, 2004 07:42 PM

"Of course...if they put all the good stuff on the cheap cameras, lots of people would probably not want to spend the money on the better stuff."

You hit it right on the head!

Aaron