Any one who attended DVExpo.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any one who attended DVExpo..

HI everybody,

There are so many people attened the DV EXPO EAST. I have seen some photographs holding cameras.. Any one checked the following things.

BackFocus....(this hurts me a lot on xl1s for me)?
Sensitivity Issues......(for light)?
Any 20x Manual zoom servo Lens.....?
What filter Diameters ?
Lux explanation?
External Shoulder mounts?

I ll be great appretiative if someone can answer this?

vamshi
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

BackFocus: Nobody who saw the camera at DV Expo has yet complained online about the backfocus on the 20x lens.

Sensitivity Issues: 5.5 lux at 1/60th sec. in Program AE mode.

Any 20x Manual zoom servo Lens: Not yet. See my Guide to XL2 Lens Options.

What filter Diameters: Full listing on my Guide to XL2 Lens Options.

Lux explanation: not sure what you mean, do you want an explanation of how lux ratings are done?

External Shoulder mounts: Answered in the compatibility section of my XL2 Frequently Asked Questions.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #3

Chris,

During training, we were informed that when in 60i, 16:9 Mode, 1/60th second shutter speed, 0db Gain that the effective ASA is 400. Turn the Gain knob to the left and you will have 320ASA at -3db. Was easily capable of producing a bright exposure even at 1/100 second inside the Javitz Center.

In 24P at default 1/48th second shutter speed, it is then of course very good.

Many various ways to affect light sensitivity with the XL2, so many that I think saying 5.5 lux is misleading many to think it is light hungry. It isn't light hungry by any means. The XL2 is very noticeably more sensitive than the older XL1S.

Here's an example: the "film noir" detective set that was used at the DV Expo was not overlit by any means. It was definitely not a very brightly lit scene. This was obviously done on purpose to show the capabilities of the XL2. The XL2 easily produced a well exposed image in all Shooting Modes.

Not trying to hype up something that isn't there, but from my experience and where I stand, it performs nicely in low light. I have also used the DVX100A to shoot a few projects within the past year and I would say that the XL2 compares very favorably to the DVX as far as sensitivity goes. If you were to put them side by side, the XL2 would not be far off by any means.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #4
Trustee

How about the LCD/EVF? Can anyone verify that it is indeed easier than the original XL series to check focus? I know that a CRT is essential fof pro shoots. But I have become accustomed to the DVX100 and I can always tell if I am in perfect focus or not. On my old XL1 I would never be 100% sure until I watched the final tape.

Also...as for the LCD. Can it be turned and tilted easily and does the EVF diopter lock in place when it is flipped up? I used to do a lot of shooting with camera at odd angles and would hate to have that thing flopping around or slam closed on me.

And one more question....with the new viewfinder assembly forward and back adjustement can we finally get the eyepiece out forward (toward the lens) more so that the back of the body actually rests on on our shoulders more than the original XL series?

Thanks.....
I'll have more questions soon!

by the way. I am actually icicle22 but was foced to change my ID to my real name. I haven't posted here in a while but visit daily so I am not actually a newbie.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #5
Trustee

Chris.....do you have any info on the questions I posted above??
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Don has as much experience with it as I do if not more, so I'm sure he'll chip in if he's inclined.

<< Can anyone verify that it is indeed easier than the original XL series to check focus? >>

In my opinion the new multifunction color LCD viewfinder is superior in every respect to the old color LCD viewfinder, including its ease in checking focus. It still doesn't beat the monochrome CRT viewfinder, though.

<< Can it be turned and tilted easily and does the EVF diopter lock in place when it is flipped up? I used to do a lot of shooting with camera at odd angles and would hate to have that thing flopping around or slam closed on me. >>

It tilts with some tension to keep it in place, which is what you want... when it's flipped open, a spring holds it forward in place. Normal movement isn't going to flop it closed, and if you swing the camera hard enough to actually flop it closed, then you're treating the camera too harshly anyway.

<< with the new viewfinder assembly forward and back adjustement can we finally get the eyepiece out forward (toward the lens) more so that the back of the body actually rests on on our shoulders more than the original XL series? >>

The fore-aft adjustment adds about an inch and a half of travel. Don actually shot hand-held with it so I'll have to defer to him here. Hope this helps,

Old July 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Chris,
I definitely don't flop the camera around to have it slam closed if it is indeed spring loaded. As far as focusing I understand that a BW CRT is better but there is no denying that the DVX100 LCD was light years better than the original XL1 viewfinder. If the XL2 can achieve that level of clarity I will be happy.

Also...I was one of early adopters of th XL1 and got burned by the "vertical lines" issue. Canon denied and denied that my camera had the issue until 2 years later when I sent it back to them for the 3rd time and showed them side by side footage shot on my XL1 and my partners. They then replaced the entire printed circuit board and for the first time the camera worked fine. I know you can't predict the future but do you have any input on that previous issue? Does Canon have their act together now or should I be worried about getting burned again by buying a first Run camera?

I just sold my DVX100 with the intention of buying a DVX100A but now I have decided on the Xl2. But I have my fears.....does Canon have any type of history of first runs? OR was the XL1 a blip on the radar?

Thanks,,,,,,

Oh yeah. One other thing. The Jpgs posted earlier by someone showing the ceiling of the Expo center.....those were really...really soft images...out of focus slightly. THis scares me a little also as I love the hi res sharp images of the DVX. Please tell me this was just a bad focus and not a sign of soft focus issues on the unit. please.....
:)
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Try this image instead: www.dvinfo.net//canonxl2/images/danascott.jpg

Reports from the first buyers should either confirm or deny your fears.

Old July 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanx for the reply..

Chris.. Thanx again for the reply...

The thing here is about filters i mean external filters. I use sunshade and polaroid filters on my xl1s with a diameter of 72mm. I checked the 20 x lens it says only 2 built in filters. well may be i guess they might be fitting on 20x lens...isnt true or not?

Other folks....thanx very very much....for sharing the information.. I hope,,really hope xl2 some most of the xl1s problems...

vamshi
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

The 20x L IS lens has two built-in ND filters (as opposed to one in the 16x IS II lens). You can add whatever round 72mm filters you want to the front -- or get a clamp-on 4x4 filter holder and add and add 'til you can't add no more.

Old July 20th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

tease

A good Tease ...Chris
Vamshidhar Kuchikulla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders