DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-2 image not loading (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/29309-xl-2-image-not-loading.html)

James Emory July 20th, 2004 02:31 AM

XL-2 image not loading

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with the image of the XL-2 not loading on the Canon website. When I go to their site and click on the small XL-2 image in the line up of cameras, everything loads except for an image of the camera which I'm assuming would be at the top because there is a big blank space. At the bottom left of my screen is the data loading info and it just hangs there and says 1 item remaining..................... It has done this at least since the announcement of the XL-2. Surely Canon is aware of this.

Chris Hurd July 20th, 2004 06:58 AM

That's a Flash presentation. And the trouble you're having with it is the primary reason why DV Info Net will never use Flash in a similar capacity.

James Emory July 20th, 2004 07:18 AM

Thanks Chris. You would think that they would have all the bugs worked out before they posted something like that. I wonder why they don't at least post a still image. Thank goodness for your site where I have been able to find large detailed images!

Chippe Wallace July 20th, 2004 08:44 AM

Flash is standard today. Thats why we see it on almost every site like Canon.com. I think you should download it if you don't wanna be way behind.

Chris Hurd July 20th, 2004 11:11 AM

Flash is indeed standard, but I choose not to incorporate its use into this site. The very first thing I do when I hit a Flash site is click "skip intro." A primary goal here at DV Info Net is to keep it lean and fast.

Bill Pryor July 20th, 2004 01:15 PM

And I thank you for avoiding the gratuitous use of Flash.

Chippe Wallace July 20th, 2004 02:19 PM

..but flash is clean and fast and it also brings life to the site. Chris, I respect the way you make dvinfo.net. I like it. Im just saying; it's always good to have flash installed. Today it's easy to forget that there actually are ppl that still uses dial-up modems, so a big + to you.

Bill Pryor July 20th, 2004 02:23 PM

I've got a high speed cable modem at home and DLS at work, so loading speed isn't an issue for me; but all the webgeeks around here make lots of fun of sites that use Flash indiscriminately for no reason other than they can. Sort of like Michael Bay and explosions.

Chippe Wallace July 20th, 2004 04:17 PM

uhm.. did you find anything of interest on those sites? I doubt that so don't visit crappy sites.
I think it's very conservative and old to totally ignore flash. There are good and there are bad flash sites just as there are good and bad none flash sites. Do not forget Darwins theory ;-)

btw.. I know some of those "webgeeks" that actually makes sites for a living and they take no consideration for those who do not follow the internet evolution. 15" monitors 800x600 and dial-up modems are history. Sorry but it's true.

Chris Hurd July 20th, 2004 04:24 PM

Chippe, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're saying -- points all valid and true -- however, I seriously doubt I will ever integrate Flash into a DV Info Net main page. Maybe somewhere within the site, for whatever demonstrative purpose it may serve, but not on the front page nor any major area. Call it perogative, I guess, but as an up-and-coming crusty old fart, I just don't want to do it.

Colin Barrett July 22nd, 2004 03:44 AM

Flash is a fantastic tool for helping people to learn and where interactivity is to be encouraged, but - like Chris and others - the first thing I do when I get to a Flash intro is skip it. I can't be bothered, even with a relatively fast DSL connection and network. The problem, as has been pointed out earlier, is that there are lots of web developers out there who are putting web sites together not as a means of aiding efficient communication but merely as a means of impressing their peers with their command of latest techniques. If a website isn't accessible it ain't much good in my opinion, and a basic understanding of CSS is much more important than moving wallpaper.

Colin

Chippe Wallace July 22nd, 2004 10:44 AM

Ok, I just wanna let you know that I didn't got mad and I hope I didn't offend somebody. I actually agree with you but sometimes it's better to accept and adapt cuz there are also possitive sides. As I wrote before, DVinfo is good as it is.